goat question

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by annie3001, Sep 2, 2009.

1. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    i would love a goat, just want to know a little about them:
    what kind of home do they need? size? should i get 2?
    are they expensive to care for? thanks in advance!!

2. barredcountrycoop

barredcountrycoop Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2009
    Louisiana
    We have three pygmies. 2 males and a pregnant female. I built a good pen around 39 feet by 30 feet. Put a lean to tin roof and closed in three sides to shelter from the weather. A hand full of hay and some feed in the morning and evening and they are getting too fat, lol. They have been no trouble, not real expensive to feed, although they are much pickier eaters than I thought. They don't eat anything. They love weeds and briars but won't eat grass. We have collars on them and tie them out in the pasture when possible other than that they stay in thier pen and climb on the platform we made them, they are very playful. I probably have two hundred dollars in the pen and cover, they eat a 25 lb bag of feed every two weeks so it's really not bad. If you have an e-mail I'll send you some pics of them. All in all we love them!

3. hikerchick

hikerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    goats are herd animals so you do need at least 2. Depending on what size goat you get, you could shelter them in a large doghouse- I get 2 pygmies sleeping happily in one doghouse. Make sure your pen is sturdy because they are escape artists. I don't find them expensive- I use goat feed and free ranging. A bag of feed should last two goats a month at $12-17 a bag.

4. barredcountrycoop

barredcountrycoop Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2009
    Louisiana
    p.s we bought one young male, he was impossible to keep in the pen, we were told they do not like to be alone so we bought the second male and immediatley he calmed down. We added the female to have kids, and all three are now very content.

1 German shepherd
    3 pygmie goats
    ! stray cat
    1 guenea pig
    2 barred rock roos
    4 barred rock hens

5. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    mmmm
    thank thank thank you for your responses! i know in my town, they are allowed, just dont know how to start the build on this one,,, i have to check it out some more with the hubby! thank you all! ill post more when i get the o.k.[​IMG]

6. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Ohio
    I would suggest going over to www.backyardherds.com and look through the goat posts there. Lots of info. Good luck. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by