Goat Question?

hcammack

Crowing
12 Years
Oct 5, 2007
Vermont
My english teacher (also my favorite teacher) has goats and lives on a farm she has 1 mother doe an alpine and two alpine nubian X's kids one weather and a doeling both over a year old. I asked her how dandy (her doe) was producing for her she said she still giver 3 gallons a day !!! that is almost a year and a half after kidding!!! is this normal? I know they are exeptionally spoiled. I talked it over with her and she thinks she will dry dandy off after she breeds her daughter in about 6 months most likely and she will give dandy a whole year of rest and rotate the mother daughter team. Does this sound good to all you goat experts. She is a great teacher and mentor and just wanted to check up on this for her. (she does not have chickens
lol.png
her husband does not like them)

Henry

I haven't been in milk goats that long but I've personally never heard of a goat giving 3 gallons a day! Wow! Alpines are known to generally give the most milk of the dairy breeds though.

I think giving animals a 'break' is always a good idea, if possible. However, they certainly are capable of being bred every year and milked afterwards if fed and taken care of properly.

Silly husband... doesn't like chickens! He needs to spend some time with some and I bet he'd change his mind.

Quote:
I think it was something about having a free range flock when he was young and them pooping on his toys
lol.png

I think she must milk several times per day and normally the amount of milk produced is created by how much milking is done, more milking = more milk produced. The doe probably didn't produce this much in the beginning but as weeks went by and the demand increased so did her production. I think a break by now would be REALLY needed. But then again if she is well cared for and supplemented with high calcium like good alfalfa then I suppose it's fine. That doe is worth her weight in gold then!
smile.png

I bet she is she was a rescue also ! My teachers milks once at 5am and once at 5pm so I am not sure I might have heard wrong and she is getting 3 quarts each time she milks with adds up to a gallon and a half.

Henry

Back
Top Bottom