1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Goat question

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by thechickenfarmer, Mar 3, 2007.

1. thechickenfarmer

thechickenfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    My husband and I are having some land cleared today and are thinking of getting a couple of goats to keep it nice after all the work is done. We don't know much about goat breeds but would like to hear your opinions on what breeds are best for munching so it won't grow up again. Thanks [​IMG] Jen

2. chickengirl

chickengirl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2007
    Florida
    hey i have some pygmys and do a very good job at keeping the yard and wherever else we put them also i heard boar goats are good but they are big thats why i got pygmys becasue they are small and do a good job

3. TheBigWRanch

TheBigWRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    Wenatchee, Washington
    I raise goats, and if you have a lot of brush to get rid of they will love it! Goats like to eat stuff that is off the ground more than grass. If you want something to really keep the ground down, I would suggest sheep. My goats, and all of my friends goats like to eat grain and alfalfa more than grass, so they can be expensive to keep. Unlike most people believe, they are picky eaters! If you have a lot of shrubs and trees that you want to keep, than don't get a goat, because it will all be gone in a day!

4. V Chic Chick

V Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bristol, England
    FYI, goats do need a field shelter - they hate to get wet.

5. thechickenfarmer

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    Hi Everybody,
    Thanks for your replys. Our field will be cleared by this spring and mostly grass with some well established shade trees. We're planning a barn but it might be a while till we can build so we were thinking of a smaller shelter/barn and possibly a new chicken coop in the mean time. I always wanted sheep but was thinking they wouldn't be as good as goats as keeping it down. Thanks bigwranch for your info. I think you're right and sheep will be better for us. [​IMG] Jen

6. chickiemom

chickiemom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2007
    South Louisiana
    I have 2 sheep, they do a great job eating grass. I have Katiaden (might be spelled wrong) they dont need to be sheered! Big plus. Do your research and Good Luck

7. thechickenfarmer

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    I know shearing is a chore but being a knitter I can't think of anything better than having my own wool! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by