Goat Questions

AmieD

Chirping
Jul 19, 2016
Ok, I love the idea of living on a mini farm and my experience with goats is just from petting zoos. I live in a neighborhood in the country and have almost 1.5 acres. I have a fenced in backyard with my chicken coops and a chunk of my property is wooded. How much property would I need for my goats to graze on? Other than the yard, I don't have much grass. I plan to fence and clear some of the woods, but that will take time. I'm fine with buying food and hay as long as it wouldn't be super expensive. A bale of hay is $8 at my farm store, but I may be able to get a better deal elsewhere. Does anyone know how much they would eat? I just saw 2 cuties on Craiglist that are Nigerian/Nubians. There are also some Nigerian Dwarfs for sale. Any tips on the best pet goat? Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

I am considering goats as well. I had different dairy breeds years ago; Sanaans, Nubians, and Alpines. I love angoras and am interested in them for their wool. But now I am very interested in training a pack goat as well. I've read that dairy breeds such as Alpine and LaMancha make good pack goats. From my limited experience, Nubians would rather make a lot of noise than cooperate. Nigerians are small, half the size of standard dairy goats, and would probably need less space and be easier to handle.
Let us know what you get and how it works out! Good luck!
ps goats are browsers and will help you clear those woods!

Last edited:
I have a pregnant doe, I woke up this morning and found some mucus on the floor and from her vulva, I examined the mucus it has small stain of blood. I reported to the vet but they said I should wait till mid day if it's still like that I should bring my doe. By afternoon the discharge is gone with some little blood on the vulva and tail dried. Please friends is my goat having a miscarriage or abortion? I've not been happy the whole day. Someone help me

I have a pregnant doe, I woke up this morning and found some mucus on the floor and from her vulva, I examined the mucus it has small stain of blood. I reported to the vet but they said I should wait till mid day if it's still like that I should bring my doe. By afternoon the discharge is gone with some little blood on the vulva and tail dried. Please friends is my goat having a miscarriage or abortion? I've not been happy the whole day. Someone help me
The blood may mean something or it may mean nothing. First of all, when is this doe due? Secondly, how much blood is there? Is there any on her tail feathers? What color is is it? Pink? Red? Brown? Does it look like strawberry yogurt?I know, goats don't really have feathers, but that is as good a description of the fringe on the tail as any.

I did it. I drove out to a farm and bought two Nigerian Pygmy goats. My wonderful husband didn't even get mad. The goats quickly took over a chicken coop. They are so cute. Now, I just need to spoil them.

I did it. I drove out to a farm and bought two Nigerian Pygmy goats. My wonderful husband didn't even get mad. The goats quickly took over a chicken coop. They are so cute. Now, I just need to spoil them.

thumbsup.gif

are they does, bucks, one of each?

I went with 2 does. The lady who sold them was very nice and is selling some pregnant ones as well. If my husband keeps watching goat videos with babies, I may send him for one more. ;)

If yours aren't bred, you could bring them to visit a buck....
Well happy Christmas, with your new little friends!

The blood may mean something or it may mean nothing. First of all, when is this doe due? Secondly, how much blood is there?  Is there any on her tail feathers? What color is is it?  Pink?  Red? Brown?  Does it look like strawberry yogurt?I know, goats don't really have feathers, but that is as good a description of the fringe on the tail as any.

Back
Top Bottom