1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Goat questions

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Sherry, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    I have 5 pygmies, all girls. A friend is giving me a billy. He's a fainting goat about the size of a lab. Will I be able to use him for breeding with the pygmies?
    Either way he is going to have his own lot and not with the girls.

2. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Yeah, you can use him.... Obviously the kids won't be able to be papered... But yes, he can breed them.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i also have a pygmy doe..and a french alpine male...could they have babies?..or will it kill my smaller female?...thanks..(sorry to hijack the post...[​IMG])...i'll start another one if its okay with you..thanks,Wendy

4. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    by kill her i meant..will the babies be to large for her to have?..sorry...wendy

5. Sherry

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    My pygmies aren't papered anyway. They are just for my pleasure.

And Wendy, ask any questions you want. [​IMG]

6. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Wendy, it kinda depends on how large your alpine is... And would it be your pygmy's first birth? It should be ok if it's not her first birth.

7. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I'm of the mindset that breeding a large male to a small female is not a good idea. Why risk the potential for losing your female if she has problems with a large kid at birth?

Also, Sherry, what is your reasoning for breeding these goats? It seems that there are plenty of mixed and purebred goats around and many can't find good homes. If you are wanting to milk or eat the kids, then go for it. But, if it's just to add more pets to this world... maybe you should reconsider? Just my thoughts.

8. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    it would be her first...so..i can send a pic of them together..shes about full grown in the pic..but..he is still a baby..he was born on april 27....so..hes about 4 months old now..i'll try to send the pic so you can see the differance so far..and thanks sherry!!...very nice of you to share...lol..[​IMG]..the pic was taken about [​IMG]3 weeks ago..

9. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    also..i'd be breeding for the milk...i wish she didnt have to get preggo to give milk...but...[​IMG]..lol

10. Sherry

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    It seems that there are plenty of mixed and purebred goats around and many can't find good homes. If you are wanting to milk or eat the kids, then go for it. But, if it's just to add more pets to this world... maybe you should reconsider?

They would already have a good home....mine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by