Goat Shed Bedding???

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by KadeSilkies21, Aug 21, 2017.

1. KadeSilkies21

KadeSilkies21 Chirping

Jul 13, 2017
    We are putting the finishing touches on our goat shed/shelter now and I was wondering what bedding we should use? I was thinking about straw/hay but then i thought they may eat it. What would be easiest to clean and cheap?

2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    They will probably eat at least some of whatever you put in there, straw/hay is least harmful IMO... we just got 2 and prepped their shelter with a nice thick bedding of it... this is where they decided to sleep, lol..

20170820_234652.jpg

3. KadeSilkies21

KadeSilkies21 Chirping

Jul 13, 2017
    So would my best bet be to fill the floor with hay and straw and see where they'll sleep? I guess all goats are different!

Ravynscroft likes this.
  4. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Yep, that sounds like a plan... prep fully for them, then see how it goes... we think they want all the comforts, but some just prefer to 'rough it', lol...

5. Fields Mountain Farm

Fields Mountain Farm Beyond Poultry Dome

Jun 6, 2017
    Dunlap TN
    Hey...Yes they'll have different preferences, some even prefer to sleep up off the ground on benches,so to speak. Most of the time it depends on the weather. Straw is good especially in winter, it produces heat, in summer it can make them to warm but they may move into it if the early morning air is cool or damp.
    It does require cleaning out often and I put lime on the ground after cleaning all the straw out, let it sit a few minutes, rake into the ground, add straw. The lime helps with oder, bacteria, and some pests. Hope it help you with your decisions. And yep, they'll sleep where they want either way.:lau

Ravynscroft likes this.
  6. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Professional Chicken Tender

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    I wouldn't use hay. They would end up eating it and if it gets moldy and they eat it they can get listeriosis and a host of other ailments.

Fields Mountain Farm likes this.
  7. Fields Mountain Farm

Fields Mountain Farm Beyond Poultry Dome

Jun 6, 2017
    Dunlap TN
    I should've thought to mention that...Glad you covered it!:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: