Goat Shed Flooring

chickylou

Songster
10 Years
Jan 29, 2009
Valparaiso
Hi,

What do you recommend for goat shed flooring?

Will the vinyl flooring work well with wood shavings? Similar to chickens and easy clean up?

Would gravel or dirt?

Any thoughts would be great on this subject.

Thanks in Advance:)

We have are goat hut on wood pallets- we first had the earth but I thought they would be warmer on pallets- I think as long as they are dry they do not much care-
however if you will be milking that may be a different story- good luck with your goats
big_smile.png

Will the vinyl flooring work well with wood shavings? Similar to chickens and easy clean up?

Would gravel or dirt?

I would not use Vinyl at all as that will be slippery for them and could get hurt bad. We use just dirt floors with a 60lb bale of straw in a 8'x8' three sided goat house. We house 3-4 in a house of that size. We do the deep litter method adding new straw every month or when it warrants it. If the weather is good they will not ever go in there house they would rather sleep out under trees or beside the house ?? but when it rains they run straight for their house.
big_smile.png

I have dirt covered with straw also. I haven't tried wood shavings - it's too expensive. I am also just adding straw through the winter for a deep litter method. It does keep it cozy in their houses. I haven't done a total spring cleaning yet though... that might be interesting when it's time to muck out all that wet straw.

I was told by several breeders to not have a wood or potential slippery floor as the goats can run in, slide around and potentially break their leg. It's happened to a couple of them.

Back
Top Bottom