1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Goat/Sheep = Lawnmower: Economical Idea?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by BantyHugger, May 5, 2009.

1. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    We were wondering how much goats eat. If we just let 1 or 2 graze on our 2 acres would there be enough for them to eat or would we still have to buy lots of feed? Whats the average cost of feeding a goat? Would what i saved on gas for the lawnmower be equal to the cost of feeding the goat?
    Just an Idea-
    Mariah

EDT: We have determined that goats are too destructive and don't graze as much as sheep. From here on we are comparing sheep vs.goats for lawnmowers. However the question of having to buy them food still stands. Also would i be able to fit the same number of sheep (1 or 2) on my 2 acres? Aren't sheep terrified of dogs? Can you train them to think of the dogs like their flock? Also what would be the best breed for the mowing purpose?

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  2. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    We are doing the same thing. Goats will eat ANYTHING! Two acres will be plenty for 1-2 goats.

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Well, goats only get the very tops of grass and would rather browse on things other than grass often, such as weeds, flowers, shrubbery. So, if you don't mind that, I say it's worth a shot.

4. momof247371

momof247371 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    we have a pasture for our goats, but we let them out to free range for 6 hours a day to eat all the grass they can. we own 4 acres and have 5 goats(all girls) but we add a male or two when breeding season is in. so it should be fine if your goats are lap dogs like ours, if they arent, be sure to put up enough fence so they dont get on the road and get hit. i hope this helps:)

5. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Is it well fenced for goats? If not, you need to factor in the cost of them jumping up and down on the neighbor's cars. [​IMG] & maybe replacing the neighbor's shrubbery.

From what I have read, people that buy them to be mowers are often dissatisfied because goats will pick out the short yummy weeds and leave the grass too long.

But mine seem to like the grass, too.

6. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    I've heard that sheep are sometimes better for this purpose if there isnt a lot of shrubbery.... I don't have any so I'm just throwing it out there so others can chime in if they know hehehe

7. BantyHugger

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Our yard is all fenced in to keep our dogs and chickens in. It is Cattle fencing (that stuff with the square holes. I forgot what its called.) I consider my whole yard a weed [​IMG] So long as i don't have to but them a ton of extra food i would happily get one.

8. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    For a lawnmower, I think you want Sheep. In my opinion, sheep or grazers / lawnmowers. Goats are browwers. For me, my goats pasture with my horses. The horses eat the grass and the goats eat the weeds. They LOVE the weeds.

9. BantyHugger

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Quote:Interesting. Are they less picky about what they will eat? My mother grew up with sheep so I'm sure she'd be open to that idea. I also happen to know that there are 3 babydoll lambs for sale down the way.

10. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:I have heard that also, but I don't have any of either myself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by