Goat with Ducks

dixygirl

Songster
11 Years
May 14, 2008
I want to get a goat and it occured to me that the goat might help protect the ducks from predators. Do you think?
I have thought of either making a large pen and put my ducks and mini goat in together or have a pen surrounding the duck's pen for the goat? I would still close the ducks up in a coop at night.
Any ideas?

Last edited:
Goats may deter some creatures from wandering into their pasture but they don't 'protect' from predators. They themselves are very likely to be preyed on by larger predators.

I don't think the goat will PROTECT the ducks per say - but a hawk won't want to visit seeing him there...... goats are prey animals as well, so they're not very brave
lol.png

just keep the goat away from the ducks food.... he'll eat it ALL and get sick from it.

Ok there are foxes, possums, and racoons. Which ones would i have to protect the goat from?

big_smile.png
I have no idea, I'm guessing anything smaller than the goat wouldn't be a huge problem....

My goat lives with my horse, they're best friends, and the goat will hide behind the barn door to sleep at night - I think its instinct and he might be hearing noises or something....

GOats are really cute, but like naughty kids... I let mine out today, took the horse out to eat some of our back lawn, and all the goat wanted was my apple tree!!!
hmm.png

Quote:
Dogs, yotes, foxes (kids).

Our goats do a GREAT job of detering rodents (esp coons and possums) and hawks. We've only had one hawk loss in 3 years and one possum (who found a way into the barn around the goats) who ate our eggs. Our own dogs won't even get too close to the goat fence, as we have one very dog aggressive goat. **despite this, dogs should never be allowed around goats, altho a goat can deter a timid dog, one that is out for blood is going to kill a goat**

Back
Top Bottom