goat with hens???

My goats and chickens share a barn and to be honest...it's a royal pain in the backside and I wish mightily my coops were built somewhere else. But that barn is what was available so my coops are built into the back of it. We had to seriously build the coops much stronger then we otherwise would have had to just because of how strong and destructive the goats are. You also have to make sure the goats cannot get to the chicken food, they will gobble it all up and they will bloat. And believe me, a pop door big enough to allow a chicken to fit through will also admit some goats and they surely will try!

As far as how they all actually get along? Fine for the most part although the darn goats have nearly trampled a chicken on more then one occasion and one of my goats really doesn't like the chickens. She will shake her horns and nip at them if they come to close. She's never tried to grab one though.

I just went through this. My Mini Lamancha (pygmy/lamancha mix) was in my newly built coop until her goat area gets finished. I went to do the usual chores and knew I hadn't left the nest box door open the day before. I fed her and gave the silkie chicks their medicated feed, closing the door again. Went to get goat's collar thinking she probably ate chick feed the day before so I needed to move her out. Got back to find no goat in run, she was already in chicken house again and ate medicated chick feed! We walked for 2 1/2 miles. Tried to post pic but doesn't work sometimes.

Last edited:
Frame of pop door is to the right, latch for nest box door can be seen-obviously not a problem for her! Not a spring latch because I didn't plan on a goat in the coop. She had gotten a snotty nose from eating the medicated chick feed but it cleared up and went away the next day.

The animal would do poorly. Why? You are planning to keep the goat alone. Goats are herd animals, and no, chickens do not count as part of a herd. They need companionship of a similar animal, another goat preferably.

Goats kept alone are stressed goats. Stress leads to poor health and eventually disease.

Two goats do not cost much more than one. It will be better for the animals. It angers me to no end when people keep herd animals alone. So unless you are going to get two, don't get one.

As soon as the pen is done the other goats were going to be bought. I helped out a friend that was pushed into one of those 'if you want this breed you gotta take that too' deals. This girl has taught me plenty to watch out for with goats and she is not in any way stressed with the other animals we have. While I appreciate your concern for proper goat husbandry (everyone has to learn) words that are typed can be misinterpreted due to no emotional reference or body language. Have a great day and I wish you luck OP:)

I agree, the biggest challenge is keeping the goat out of the chicken feed. Goats are highly motivated by food and this can be a huge challenge. Other than that, there's really not much problems.

Back
Top Bottom