Goat with soremouth

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by cyanne, Jan 20, 2009.

1. cyanne

cyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I just bought a Nigerian Dwarf buck from a local goat dairy to breed to my girls, and the owner informed me that he had soremouth.

He is mostly over the infection already, their are no blisters or sores, just the scabs, and it is a pretty mild case.

According to the breeder, soremouth isn't all that serious and is so common that the likelihood of running into it eventually is almost a certainty. He even recommended letting the buck in with my does so they would go ahead and get the disease and then be done with it.

Of course, I haven't actually done that, as I wanted more than one opinion on the matter. For now, Elvis (the buck) is locked up in a separate little pen away from the others.

From the research I've found so far, this disease is very common, and it does not seem to have THAT terrible of an effect unless it is caught by babies and affects their ability to nurse. The main thing I worry about is contaminating my goat pens with the scabs so that I get outbreaks in the future.

My plan thus far is to keep him penned until the disease clears up, then bathe him thoroughly to make sure there are no scabs lurking in his coat before letting him in with my girls. As for the pen, I am going to soak everything he comes in contact with in full-strength bleach, including the ground underneath.

I am aware that this is contagious to humans, so we are keeping all handling to a minimum and will be wearing gloves and washing up thoroughly if we do handle him at all. We are also taking care not to come in contact with the area he is in before handling or feeding our other goats so we don't carry the disease to them.

Does this all sound okay, or am I just crazy to think I can keep this from spreading to my girls? Was the seller right about it being better to just let them catch it so they are immune to future outbreaks? What about vaccination, would it be worthwhile?

Other than the disease, he is a great little buck, he comes from good milking lines, and I got to see both his mom and his sister's udders which had great attachments and the teats were a good size for hand milking. He is also smaller than my girls, whichare at the outside limit of the size limit for ND's, and he has decent confirmation, so I would be improving on what I have now. Oh, and it doesn't hurt that he is a gorgeous color, has blue eyes, has been de-horned, and is a total lovebug. He even leads!

I know, I know all of YOUR goats probably lead just fine, but it is exciting for me because my 3 girls had never seen a collar or lead before and leading them anywhere is more a matter of DRAGGING them. We are still working on the leading part for them!

2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    [​IMG]

I would never knowingly bring a sick animal onto my property. Sorry, but gotta be harsh about that one.

Highly communicable. Potential life threat to young kids. Contagious to humans. NEVER will be out of your soil now...EVER...and each and every time you walk away from the buck's pen...where ever you go the virus will follow.

Too late to worry about it now. Just have antiviral ointment and antibiotic ointment on hand for when yours get it...and keep a CLOSE eye on your future kid's lips.

3. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I agree with Helmstead. But the deed is done. Be ready.

4. cyanne

cyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I guess I should clarify, he's not in a 'pen' really, he's in a goat crate. It is a 4 by 6 ft livestock panel crate that goes in the back of the pick-up. I didn't want this stuff getting in the dirt, so I didn't bring him anywhere near any of the animal pens, have kept him completely enclosed. I am hoping that's enough to prevent it from spreading to the rest of my herd and property.

I kinda feel like I got hit by the 'newb gets taken advantage of by the old-timer' syndrome. They did not mention he was sick until I had driven all the way out to their place, then they said it was 'no big deal' just like kids getting chicken-pox. They also said it was so common that 'everybody eventually gets it' especially if you show.

I was still leery of this, but I sort of trusted them because they are a fairly well-known goat dairy for this area and they had been recommended to me from multiple sources saying that they were the be-all and end-all of goat farms in the area if I wanted to learn about dairy goats. The guy certainly sounded like he knew what he was talking about, and there was this gorgeous buck just standing there with his mesmerizing blue eyes...you get the picture.

I still put him in lock-down when I got home and changes all of my clothes and even my shoes before walking around the property. Wanted to be safe and do more research.

All that said, now that he's here, are there suggestions on keeping the tightest possible bio-security around him? Or, does anyone have any opinions on vaccinating my girls? Thanks guys!

5. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    You know I don't know what to tell you now that he's there. Some say the virus only sheds in the scabs but I don't buy it. [​IMG]

I can tell you that if you vaccinate...you've also introduced it to your herd.

Sorry I do wish I could be of more help. I would just take him right back where he came from until he's completely well...just bear in mind that it's very much in the soil there...so any goat from their farm will be contaminated potentially. If it were me...I would find another be-all-end-all...just because a farm is popular doesn't mean it's up to the highest standards.

6. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    Well here are my 2 cents. I have had one kid w/ sore mouth, she was a bottle baby, I don't think the breeders knew she had it (I did inform them). She had limited exposure to my other kids before it was descovered, after that she was kept inside the house isolated from the rest of the herd. The worst it was for me, I thought the kid might starve herself before it was over. But I handled her daily and never got it, and neither did any of the other goats.

My understanding is once they've had it they won't get it again, and the immunity can also be passed to their kids. Don't know how true any of that is.

I don't think it's the end of the World, I would do what you are doing and keep him separated. If you don't have young kids now, or some due soon, and you wanted to you could expose your does, I think the immunity would be nice, but I don't think I'd do it personally.

7. Thunderhill

Thunderhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    North Alabama
    Nope, I would take him right back.
    Goats here for 10 years and we have NEVER had a case of soremouth (Knock on wood) so it isn't "all that common"

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  8. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    sore mouth is bad and hard to get rid of ....it will go thru your whole herd.....give it LA-200 and keep it away for a week...maybe your others wont get it

9. PoultryScienceAggie

PoultryScienceAggie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2008
    College Station, TX
    We breed Boer Goats and they have gotten sore mouth. I think that is common and is like chicken pox in humans. It is not the end of the world. Many large successful farms have it within the herd. Its one of those things that just happen.

10. dfchaser

dfchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    NC
    Well like you, i got soremouth with my first goat, actually all 6 of them! I had no idea, just knew I wanted goats. The vet came out a few weeks later and was like "um thats not good". So i felt like an idiot. I also had two bottle babies in my house. The buck had scabs on his face when the vet came out and he was immediately separated from everyone (regardless of if they had it in the past). She told me most people would just shoot him to get rid of the infection. We did not, she told me to give him LA200 or bio-mycin 200 daily. We did, and when his sores were gone we got cleaning instructions.

We went to Costco and bought bleach. We then used a hudson sprayer and used straight bleach to clean EVERYTHING. barn, land, fences, food/water dishes, anything he could have come in contact with.

As long as you keep him in a small area that you can clean like crazy I think you will be fine. When all was said and done, we ended up putting the bottle babies in the "sick pen" and they never got it. That was our only case last winter. We figured if we were going to have a problem with it, it was going to flare up in the summer. ::knock on wood::

Coming from the same position you are in, i would say that you did the right thing by isolating him as soon as you got home. Since you have him now, you can wait out the infection and then clean, clean, clean!
    I wish you luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by