goat ?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by hensplease, Dec 23, 2009.

1. hensplease

hensplease Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    san diego
    we just got a 7 week old goat and whenever i leave its site it keeps baaaaaing any idea y?

2. hikerchick

hikerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    Yeah, you need another goat. Goats are herd animals and do not like to be alone. I did the same thing my first time. Bought one goat and she cried all night. Got another the next day.

3. hensplease

May 9, 2009
    san diego
    thanx but my mom realy doesnt want one more is there any way this one will be less loud by itself?

4. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Do you have another animal (steer, pony, large dog) that could live with it? I board my goat at my next door neighbor's simply because DH only wanted me to get one and I knew she'd be lonely. She has 12 other goats.

5. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    nope, won't shut up unless it has another hoof animal to bond with. you can try a dog if you have one, but hoofed animals are better.

6. hensplease

May 9, 2009
    san diego
    our chickens and ducks and turlkeys live with it

7. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't have goats yet but from what I have been reading is just what everyone is saying, a goat needs to be with a like kind, you can run into all kinds of behavioral problems when they are lonely.
    I think you should get her a friend, 7 weeks is still a baby, you have a lonely baby on your hands.

8. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    A goat MUST have another goat. As a breeder, I won't sell a single goat unless the people already have goats. It just isn't fair to the goat.

9. hensplease

May 9, 2009
    san diego
    im trying to convince my mom but shes worried they will get 2ice as loud then

10. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Quote:Yeah, I totally agree! they are herd animals and depend on that to survive. It is cruel to have only one goat. Either get rid of it or get another goat! I vote another goat~

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by