1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

goatL

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by 1 old hen, Dec 16, 2013.

1. 1 old hen

1 old hen Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2013
    Looking for a good milk goat. What would be a good breed? Do not want minitures. 1 old hen

2. farmchick897

farmchick897 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Kentucky
    Saanen.

3. handyman42

handyman42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2013
    Sardis, AR
    Depending on where you live is dependent on what breed. If you live in the south where it's hot and typically dry in the summer I'd say Nubians. Good african breed and if you want more they are known for having twins and even triplets after their first pregnancy of a single. Now if you're up north or other cold areas I'd say Alpines, Toggenburgs or Saanens would all be good choices. Good Luck!!

4. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Actually, all the dairy breeds do well in all parts of the country. Personally, unless you really like them, I wouldn't choose a Saanen for my first goat. I wouldn't choose a Togg either unless it is a milker and you have sampled the milk. Most Toggs produce good milk, but there are lines that produce a milk that is undrinkable and this trait is hereditary.

5. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I really enjoyed my Nubians. Very good first breed of goat, generally easy to find nice ones, and lots of milk.

6. 1 old hen

1 old hen Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2013
    Thanks information informative.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by