1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Goats and chickens help

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by 4Hmomma08, Sep 29, 2015.

1. 4Hmomma08

4Hmomma08 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2015
    I have my chickens and goats in one big pen together but I know it isn't good for the goat to eat the chicken feed so how can I feed the hens I already have a hanging feeder does anyone have any ideas?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    The simplest fix would be to create a "creep feed" area that is sectioned off to make it accessible to the birds but not to the goats. This could be accomplished with any barrier (wire, wood, etc) that allows a gap at the bottom high enough for the hens to fit under but not high enough for your goats to crawl under (which would depend on the type of goats you keep). Do your hens roost with the goats in a shelter or do they have a coop that is accessible only to them within this pen? If there is a coop, is it large enough to allow for the feeder to be kept inside of it?

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    We divided our goats from our chicken by building a wooden fence that the chickens can go over, and a gate that the chickens can fit under, about 10 inches off the ground.

[​IMG]

The goat area, the chickens get fed to the right.

4. Jchicken311

Jchicken311 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Texas
    We had the same problem! [​IMG]Glad you found a solution. I just have to feed the chickens in the coop now and let them out later on in the day. It is annoying to leave them in there while they eat but, its worth it so that the goats don't get sick. lol

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Not always easy to outsmart the goats, they can figure a way around or through a lot of things.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    They are clever, I would think they would climb the fence.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by