Goats and chickens?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Malbri, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Malbri

Malbri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    Bowdoin
    Well I guess first of all I need to know if goats can be kept with chickens. Like in a large enclosed area(how large?). Also, if I were to keep them with my chickens, would they provide any defense for them? Like if something were to enter the run, would it run away or attaack it?

2. cherrychicken

cherrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Quote:i have a friend who keeps hers together. generally goats are skittish when frightened and almost positively wouldn't protect them, however at my friend's farm the goats aren't top dog, the horses bully the goats...

3. Malbri

Jan 10, 2008
    Bowdoin
    Well I remember where I boarded my horse the goat they had would always ram people, so I thought even a tamed goat would ram if it felt indangered.

4. Malbri

Jan 10, 2008
    Bowdoin
    And for things entering the run, im not talking anything larger than a little fox, which is what has gotten 5 of my chickens this year

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    A goat will not protect or defend your flock. Goats are very skittish when on the defensive.

6. Malbri

Jan 10, 2008
    Bowdoin
    Well im still interested in having them as pets, and even for milk. Even if they wont defend them, can they still be kept with chickens? I looked it up and my chicken run isnt big enough for them full time, as its only 16 feet long, but would I be able to keep them in it for when im not home (I'm at school till about 3), then have like a tie out for them when im home?

7. tfpets

tfpets Mmm, tastes like chicken

Quote:Uh ohh, I hope they're okay together?

[​IMG]

Mine are pygmy goats, and they are fine, great for rides for the chickens, and sharing tubs!

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    To tie out a goat all day is very dangerous. You may come home to either a injured or dead goat or one that broke away and ran off. They need a solid fenced yard to call thei own. They can climb and bored goats are destructive.

9. Malbri

Jan 10, 2008
    Bowdoin
  10. Malbri

Jan 10, 2008
    Bowdoin
    Quote:Well I said they would be tied when I am home, enclosed in the chicken run when gone, is that ok? The reason I liked the idea of a tie out is because I can move it to provide a variety of forages.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by