goats and chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickengirl1193, Oct 22, 2013.

1. chickengirl1193

chickengirl1193 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2013
    north Jersey
    so I have 4 hens (about 5 months) and 2 Nigerian dwarf goats. they live in the same area which is 40x40 and I have had no problems so far. except that my chickens seem to like the goat shelter better than their coop. my coop is 4x4 with 8 bult in nesting boxes and they go in there to eat and to roost but they spend all day napping in the hay in the goat house, while the goats prefer to sleep under the chicken coop. so I'm toying with the idea of putting a roost and some nesting boxes in the goat house and letting the goats sleep in the chicken house. I was wondering what you guys thought!

2. chickengirl1193

Oct 12, 2013
    north Jersey
    [​IMG]
    my hens napping in the goat house
    [​IMG]
    goats sleeping under chicken house.

3. MamaDoodle

MamaDoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2013
    Tennessee
    My Coop
    How funny! :lol:

Really, they are very cute. Maybe put some hay under there for the goats and boxes up there for the hens, if you don't mind their behavior. :)

4. chickengirl1193

Oct 12, 2013
    north Jersey
    Yeah. if I make the door smaller so the goats can't get in and put the food and water in the bigger shelter then it's more practical for the hens this winter cuz they will have a lot of room and wont need to leave. we spent good money on that coop before i realized that it wasn't very practical with only enough room for 4 hens but 8 nesting boxes. but it is very well made!

5. chickengirl1193

Oct 12, 2013
    north Jersey
    oh and the chickens only drink out of the goats bucket and the goats somehow drink out of the chickens waterer. they are all backwords but are all happy I guess lol

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How do you keep the goats out of the chicken feed?

7. chickengirl1193

Oct 12, 2013
    north Jersey
    I keep the chicken feed in the coop and we put a wooden board over the top half of the pop door so the chickens have to bend down to get in and out but it keeps my goats out! I actually found a lot of other ideas on this site and had to pay around with what worked best because what worked for others didn't work for my goats

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I recently read about an idea that chickens could get thru but goats couldn't...an inverted triangle, like a V shape.
    I guess goats can't bring their feet in towards the center of their bodies.

9. chickengirl1193

Oct 12, 2013
    north Jersey
    oh thats a good idea!! i might have to try that one when my chickens get a bit bigger. I tried putting wood in an L shape right inside the door so that the chickens would have to go in and make a turn but that didnt keep the goats out. (my goats are still young so they are really small) Also i read that you could put 2x4s around the entrance so that the chickens have to go in and then hop up, but they goats wouldnt be able to crouch down and then back up. I havent tried that yet. Ill try to inverted triangle though if i need too. Thanks for the idea!!

10. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Our chickens also love to be in the goat house! They often lay eggs under the goat loafing bench. The chickens in the goat house is fine but I would make an obstruction at the chicken coop/run entrance so that the goats can't get mess with the chicken stuff. Goats nibble on everything and they can be destructive. Goats are agile and can fit through really small openings. Try constructing an obstruction in front of the opening. The goats will find it difficult to make a shape 90 degree turn.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by