Goats and chickens

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by marcus connor, Feb 15, 2015.

1. marcus connor

marcus connor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Eastern Texas
    I am getting goats next month, plus Turkey's and broilers, and I have 19 more in another house. What would goats and chickens do together. :)

2. leedyfeathers

leedyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2014
    VA
    Get sick for sharing water or food and that goes for both animals they will stress your chickens with their antics and play eat my chickens feed now if in the same pen but Out side free range there is'nt as much issues with stress. I have goats and chickens free ranging when I once had them together.. I speak with experience.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    What diseases have your goats or chickens got from each other? I've had both and never had an issue. Granted, you have to keep the goats from gorging on the chicken feed, that's a big issue. Other than that, mine have done great. Chickens love to be around larger animals, they think the left over or dropped food is a buffet and the poop is dessert [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. kaylanoto

kaylanoto Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2014
    I cannot get my chickens and goats to free range together (when I'm not Watching them) bc the goats will eat ALLL the chicken feed.. how did you prevent your goats eating all the chicken feed?

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The chickens have to have a fenced/enclosed area the goats can not get into where their feed is kept. With some smaller goats, that's a pretty small hole. Some folks have used...I'm not sure what it's called or how to describe it, but it's where you have an opening in the fence and you have to make a sharp corner to get around another section of fence, we call them man gates cause livestock or vehicles can't get through them. something similar for a chicken to get through, but a goat wouldn't be flexible enough to round the corners.

6. marcus connor

Oct 23, 2014
    Eastern Texas
    We have a huge pasture, and I feed the chickens and goats at different times of the day.

7. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. marcus connor

Oct 23, 2014
    Eastern Texas
    awww so cute

9. leedyfeathers

leedyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2014
    VA
    goats got scour (think spelled right) every time I let them in the lot with chickens I let them in other aress and it would clear up and chickens got cocci everytime they were in with them would have to medicate them each time. I finally figured out best to not do that and I had a nice green lot nobody was too crowded or tripping over each other or standing mud up to knees .. big area for them at the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by