Goats And Hay

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by simplynewt, Nov 6, 2011.

1. simplynewt

simplynewt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I have three goats - two pygmys and one Nubian and they are not eating any of the hay I placed out for them. I have built them a fine hay feeder and the browse is getting limited.

Seems all they want to eat is the couple of cups of grain i give themevery morning.

Anyone have this problem before?

Just looking for some suggestions as to how I canget them to start eating the hay.

2. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I'm sure they'll eat it when they get hungry enough. I feed mine 1/2 cup of feed and 1/3 cup cracked corn 2x a day each. Also keep loose mineral available to them.

3. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    If they won't eat it, there may be something wrong with it.

4. simplynewt

simplynewt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Quote:Thats what I thought. When I opened the bale to put it into the feeder, it was real dusty like it was sitting in storage for a while. I didnt see any signs of mold on it though. Before I placed it in the feeder, I shook out each slab as best I could.

I purchased two bales from a local feed store and would hate to discard these bales because of it being turned down by a couple finiky goats.

Wht could the dust be from?

5. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Mold. And some molds are toxic, particularly those from grass hay. I would be inclined to take the hay back and tell them it is unfit. It is.

6. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    Not to dismiss every feed store, since I am sure there's many that do a great job, but our feed stores hay they sell is just disgusting! I would recomend finding a local farmer who is selling, they take more pride in selling quality hay, and they have more knowledge on how to store.

7. HorsebackandHappy

HorsebackandHappy Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2011
    I would take it away just to be sure. It could just not be tasty, old and dusty. But it could be moldy, and that can kill. Dust can be from baling a dusty field, being stored inappropriatly etc . . .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by