Goats & Chickens

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by lnm03, Jul 29, 2010.

1. lnm03

lnm03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    I am looking into getting a dairy goat since my daughter cant have cows milk. My question is I have a place inside for this goat but can the goat (due to kid in 3 weeks) share a run with the chickens? or does it need its own run? It is a Nigerian Dwarf goat.

2. sammileah

sammileah Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2009
    central ia
    mine kinda run together now and will be housed together this winter. couple things set up chicken feeders where goats can't get them, and same with nesting boxes. other than that.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Ohio
    My goats and chickens share the same field. I just make sure that the goats can't get into the chicken coop. The chicken feed is bad for them. I would also say to make sure that the chickens can't get into the goat are and poop all over their hay and feeders.

4. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    We had pygmy goats once. We got them as adults and they where never friendly. We tried housing them with the chickens in the winter... I had the chicken food up on a 4' corner of the garage and had a 2x2 ran across to hold it there and for the chickens to perch on. Our wethered pigmy would jump up there and stand on the 2x2 to eat the layer feed! They also would chew on the tails of the chickens, I think they thought it was the hay? The chickens never bothered to poop on there hay but loved to scratch in it when it fell on the ground. They would eat the goat food if they had the chance, but they goats usually ate it up before the chickens finished theres.
    Good luck I think goats are adorable but I won't try to house them together again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by