Goats doing roadside clean up in NM - link added

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by WriterofWords, Mar 16, 2011.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I was just watching KVIA in El Paso, KVIA.com is their website, and they had a story about a goat herder in Las Cruces NM up the road from me doing roadwork. The goat herder takes the goats out, it takes about two days for the goats to clean up the growth and the herder gets $250 I think they said, instead of paying a road crew to do it for a lot more. They showed quite a herd of goats at work, it was really interesting. They were fenced away from the highway so they were safe, and they looked thrilled to be there.

http://www.kvia.com/news/27221430/detail.html

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  2. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Thats neat

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Yep we do that with our neighbors. Everyone wants to know how in the world we keep our yard so clean. We point to Bert & Ernie and tell them $75 a day....

4. c is 4 cochin

c is 4 cochin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    Those goats might clean up all the grass an brush, but. . .but. . .they leave a ton of berries behind. Who gets to clean that up?

5. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Quote:Biodegradable!

6. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd worry about them eating roadside garbage or cigarette butts or other nasties.

7. country lady

country lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    NW Tennessee
    "Those goats might clean up all the grass an brush, but. . .but. . .they leave a ton of berries behind. Who gets to clean that up?"----As a gardener, I would love to have goats if only for the clean manure they produce--tops, in my book. Great idea someone came up with!

8. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    chickensducks&agoose :

I'd worry about them eating roadside garbage or cigarette butts or other nasties.

I imagine the herder watches out for that, or they have a crew remove garbage first,, in fact I'm sure they do because Las Cruces uses roadside cleanup crews for trash from the Southern NM prison up there.​

9. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Very cool!

10. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Quote:I imagine the herder watches out for that, or they have a crew remove garbage first,, in fact I'm sure they do because Las Cruces uses roadside cleanup crews for trash from the Southern NM prison up there.

How you know when your criminal career was a rank failure:

Your prison job is "pre-cleaning" for goats.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by