1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Goats ear tattoo and collars

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by FrenchFarm, Jul 16, 2008.

1. FrenchFarm

FrenchFarm Goats confuse them

May 22, 2008
    Michigan
    Our family just bought two French Alpine goats this week! Isabelle is a year-old dairy goat, and her little sister (same father, and related mothers) Phillisa is five months. Their previous owner did their ear tattoos a few days before we bought them. My question is, will the inside of their ears stay green from the dye, or will that wear off partially or completely? Also, we need to buy a collar for Phillisa, who is almost solid black, and I wondered if they make collars in the same green as the ear dye. We'll get Isabelle a black collar since she has a white neck but lots of black coloring elsewhere. Where do you buy your collars, online or in a store? Thank you. - Stephanie

2. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    The ink will wear off in a few days to a week, depending on how oily their skin is. Once the hair starts growing back, you'll have to look hard to find the tatoo. As for collars, I go to the local pet store and buy large dog collars for my LaManchas. The Nigerians are small enough to open up a whole new realm of cutsy, froofroo collars.

3. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I would suggest a break away collar. It's best not to have collars on them at all...goats have a way of getting themselves into trouble and getting their collars hung up on things.
    I have seen collars made with big plastic links. If the goat gets hung up the links will break away.

4. Kittikity

Kittikity Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
  5. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Yep! That's them.

6. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    I always put the glow in the dark orange colored dog collars on my goats. That way when they get out(because they always do!!!) we can see them easier at nite!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by