Goats favorite types or grasses/cold hardy grass?

azure_

Songster
Jul 23, 2020
Western Massachusetts
So in the spring I think WE ARE GETTING GOATS!!! I am working on a pasture/browsing area for the future goats. I know that goats prefer browsing to grazing so I want to make their "pasture" interesting! I'm gonna make a thread about my plans soon, but for now I just need help with grass stuff. I already planted some grass and now it's sprouting and it's SO cute!!! I'm actually really lucky because where I live (western Massachusetts) we got snow once and it melted immediately!! I want a mixture of all sorts of things so this is my plan so far, Kentucky blue grass, random grass mixes, clover, alfalfa grass, and whatever else you all recommend! Now the questions!!! What are goats favorite types of grass to munch on? What grasses grow well in Massachusetts? What are some drought resistant grasses? What are some really water absorbent types of grasses? ( I ask the last question because I went out to my "pasture" today to find a marsh, lol) thank you so much!!!

Talk to your local agricultural extension. They can help you. I planted ladino clover for my goats once. I can tell you they didn't like it very much. Years ago Shumway seed company offered a swine pasture mix that I think the goats really would have liked. I don't know if Shumway is still in business or if they still offer the mix but it might be worth checking out. I can tell you goats like oats and vetch and you might check out rape. They like that too.

Talk to your local agricultural extension. They can help you. I planted ladino clover for my goats once. I can tell you they didn't like it very much. Years ago Shumway seed company offered a swine pasture mix that I think the goats really would have liked. I don't know if Shumway is still in business or if they still offer the mix but it might be worth checking out. I can tell you goats like oats and vetch and you might check out rape. They like that too.
https://www.rhshumway.com/category/12

Back
Top Bottom