Goats for sale in philly area

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by avian, Sep 3, 2014.

1. avian

avian Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2013
    Does anybody know where I can get some goats in the Philadelphia area? I am looking for Nigerian Goats in particular. Thanks!

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    You can find ads for goats on craigslist or at your local feed store. Nigerian Dwarf goats are great little guys, I hope you enjoy them. Be sure to have everything all setup and ready before you commit to bringing any home.

3. avian

avian Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2013
    Would craigslist be reliable for goats though? I'm hesitant using that site sometimes.

4. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI

As long as you ask appropriate questions and are always ready to walk away, then it isn't much of an issue. Too many people think that looking at an animal though a CL ad means they have to buy it. Nope! If you see an animal in poor health, you can say thanks but no thanks. Don't put down nonrefundable deposits without seeing animals in person, either.

You need to sounds like you know what you are doing. Research helps with that. You can be honest and say they will be your first goats, but if you are armed with knowledge to do well, it helps a sale. Do not be afraid to ask questions, either. I'd rather see a buyer asking questions about disease testing status, genealogy, etc. than one that just says "yea i want the goat." When I sell, I ask questions of my own. For instance, if they want a single goat, I ask if they have other goats.

Plenty of responsible breeders also advertize on craigslist. Many have a website, but craigslist works too.

If you want to find registered ND breeders, check the ADGA and AGS breeder listings.

5. avian

avian Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2013
    Ok, thank you for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by