goats goats goats

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by EricH, Sep 12, 2010.

1. EricH

EricH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    you guys have more experience than i do... i want 2 lil goats (2 to keep eachother company) that will devour my grass. i live on an acre so i want somethin that doesnt eat massive amounts and wont get too big and too tall. so.............

nigerian dwarf?

or

pygmy fat goats?

pro's and con's?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Personally I'd get a Nigerian Dwarf, but I'm a sucker for dairy goats. If you go that route, you could let them have kids, then they'll give you a lot of milk for their size and eating amount. Also, their butterfat content allows for a lot more cheese per gallon than other breeds. . . Except Kinders.

I've never had Pygmies though. . . Just Kinders. Who are based partially on pygmies.

3. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Sheep do a lot better job on grass than goats do. Goats prefer brush, sheep prefer grass.

4. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    If you do the goats... Nigies... for sure.. super nice and quiet...but true that on the sheep thing.

5. cheeps

cheeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Rockwell, NC
    I have pygmys. Given the choice they do prefer brush and leaves to grass. Perfect for us, but might not be for you. I will say though if nothing else is available they certainly do eat grass! They are a blast, I enjoy them so much.

6. Hillsvale

Hillsvale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    I agree with the grass issue... I had two lambs and one goat in the pasture... for goat company.

7. glenolam

glenolam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Canterbury, CT
    Good for you for at least wanting 2. Goats are herd animals and do better with someone to keep them company.

I agree with all the other posters, though, sheep are better for grass eating than goats, so if you want "lawn mowers" than you might want to consider sheep.

Both also require adequate housing, although I think sheep might be better to contain. I don't have sheep, so I can't answer that question, but maybe someone else could.

8. Hillsvale

Hillsvale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    I built a hut 4x8 feet which housed the goat and two lambs... they were 8 months when they went to market several weeks ago and was more than adequate. No one had an issue going to bed a night and I kept an activity center for the goat to climb on to entertain...

9. cheeps

cheeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Rockwell, NC
    We just converted an old chicken house, that's about 4x8 foot and up on stilts, into a house for my guys. They love it, and it's actually a little too big for just the two little ones!

10. EricH

EricH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    Forgive me, i really know almost nothing of goat-raising. Do they need to be locked up in a pen at night? or are they too big to be bothered by foxes and racoons and such? i want something small, they dont breed mini sheep do they? my gf would fall in love with anything i bring home so i cant get a boer or sheep for meat. The nigerian part about being a dairy goat is intriguing... whats it like milking a goat? and whats the milk taste like? stronger than cow milk?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by