Goats......gotta love 'em! Laugh of the day how funny is this!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Fudgie, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Hilarious

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. just funny

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. don't care

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Stupid

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Ignorant

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

We have a 6 month old boer goat Fern that is chocolate brown(hard to see at night time!). Anyway, we had a huge snowstorm in mid-Missouri and it had subsided so we let the goat out and our other milk goat and her babies out to play for the day and get some exercise.

We went to town (for feed) for like an hour maybe 2 but not long. Came home, went to put up the feed and put up the animals, we could not find Fern anywhere, we bawled like a goat and waited to hear anything, i did but it sounded like the babies not fern. ANYWAY, the search was on. We have drifts up to my crotch(i am 5'3"). Not to mention the blowing wind would cover your tracks in about 20 minutes so any hope of following goat tracks was in vane. Anyway, my sickest thought was that she was burried in a big snow drift, but for the life of me could not figure out why she would have ventured out, on her own, into the cold and out of the warm barn.

the search was on, we looked in the dog pens, in the dogloos lying around here and there, any box, nook and cranny we could think of, in the boat, under the boat, on the hill with the cows, stepped into the snow drifts to see if we felt anything under the tractor, under the cattle trailer, under the car, in the watertanks(omg that was hard to look in there to see if she drown) NO FERN.
    We were getting frostbit, weather chanel said 20 minutes in the weather and you could be frostbit on the extremities. This worried me more knowing she was out there somewhere. Panic was setting in. I came in the house to warm up and get the million power spotlight to see if I could search for her and see eyes shining back at me ....nothing. URGH.

I gave up and figured she was in a nice cozy warm place and happy. My DH decided he would go for a stroll and look for her. He came back 10 minutes later and said he found her....IN THE CHICKEN FEED BARREL!!! the big 55 gallon feed barrel (the lid does not fit perfect on it) evidently this little goon jumped on a smaller feed barrel and then on another big one and stepped on the last one and the lid flipped her into the feed barrel. She was fat and happy. Full and laying down, not worried about the wind or anything. She was toasty warm and liked it there! I would have looked in that barrell but the lid was not upside down. I did bang on the dern thing to shut the lid better. I had poured the goat feed in the other barrel and thought I had knocked it off on the one fern was in. DD said she noticed it was upside down and turned it over but never saw Fern. remember she is brown dark brown. the barn is dark too!

I was so worried but glad she was found. Now we just have to watch her for bloating or anything bad like that. Silly goat, guess we need to lock the barrels away from EVERYTHING.

2. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    I thought that it was hilarious! It's a wonder that while you and your DD were banging around the barel that the goat did't make a sound!
    I'm really sorry for the worry and the searching in bad weather but the hidden goat story was very funny. [​IMG]

3. Not to put a damper on your story but, Chicken feed could make her really sick and even kill her. I would put a call into the vet asap. Don't wait. My best doe died this last Spring - eating layer feed. My son, fed the chickens and forgot to close the chicken run. She and her twins were out for free range time and exercise...I was lucky to only have lost her. The twins are both show quality. She was really something. It is still painful to think about.

I hope you have a better outcome. So, sorry to be such a downer...but, I really wanted to warn you - this could end up badly!

Joni

4. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

I have already talked to the vet and found out what to look for and watch for, it was mainly scratch grains with a little chicken feed. She is doing awesome today and wanted water so I gave her some fresh stuff. Thanks for the warning though, just in case we did not know it would be good to be watchful.

5. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    I'm surprised a Boer could fit in that ...

The morning after I brought my goat home (she lives at the neighbor's with her goats), I got a call at 7am. "You goat's gone!!!" the neighbor cried into the phone.
    "What?"
    "She must have jumped the fence! I can't find her!"
    "She's a 2 and a half foot tall goat. How could she jump a 6 foor high hurricane fence?"
    "I dunno. She's gone!!! I'm so sorry!"

Well, I got dressed and prepared to go look for her. The phone rang. It was the neighbor's husband, calling to assure me he had found my goat, she wedged herself underneath the hay rack and with hay hanging down, they couldn't see her. She's brown with small black and white markings so she was rather difficult to see.

Glad to hear she's fine. Goats are smart [​IMG]

6. DonnaBelle

DonnaBelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    McIntosh County, OK
    Great goat story. I just got two in September, and they are a hoot. Soo smart, and love to eat, don't they?? Mine love to go on a "goat walk" every day at 3:00pm and have been at the fence looking for me at 3:00. But IT'S SO COLD, I can't stand it out there for more than about 5 minutes. So I've been going out and getting in the "goat house" with them for about 3 minutes and petting them. Of course, their fur is about 2 inches thick so they are toasty warm.

DonnaBelle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by