goats help clear out chicken run

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by maurerwerks, Jul 20, 2010.

1. maurerwerks

maurerwerks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Sunapee
    I just had to share. We finished the chicken run yesterday with the exception of one section that will be completed later today. Before that last section was to be put in place, however, we let our three angora goats, Wilbur, Bill, and Peanut, into the chicken run area so that they could finish cleaning up the raspberries, brambles, and goldenrod. What a good job those boys did!
    [​IMG][/img]

Here's Wilbur doing his part...
    [​IMG][/img]

...and here's Bill, "What is that sound? Who's in there?!"
    [​IMG][/img]

I can't wait to see what the goats think when the chickaboos come out their little door and down the ramp (goats will be back in their own goat pen right next door).

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Love your goats and new coop and run! Hubby and I are thinking of getting two goats, as we are surrounded by woods and need some help with the trimming! LOL What breed would you suggest for a first time goat owner?

3. maurerwerks

maurerwerks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Sunapee
    Hi chicmom - I have to say that I am partial to angoras. They are medium sized, but generally very gentle and nonaggressive. Goats are WAY more work than chickens, but in terms of entertainment value... hilarious! We have three wethered males, because I wasn't interested in birthing no babies. I also think that the males are a little more docile than the females. I'm also very happy with the fabulous mohair I get from them. Now I can set up my spinning wheel between the goat pen and the chicken run and watch both groups - don't know how much spinning will get done, but I won't be bored!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by