Goat's milk tasting bitter

FrenchFarm

Goats confuse them
11 Years
May 22, 2008
Michigan
We have a new dairy goat, Isabelle. She kidded on July 10th and we got her four days later. When we first got her, her milk was good and sweet, but lately it seems to be getting more and more bitter. It's not goaty-tasting at all, and I'm almost sure the problem is not sanitation or cooling it fast enough. I'm wondering if she's missing something in her diet. Would that cause her milk to be bitter? By the way, her production is not suffering, just the flavor. Thank you. - Stephanie

Take a look at what she is eating. I know with cows when they go on pasture in the spring there is a difference in how the milk tastes. I would imagine the goats would be affected by what they eat too.

yeah you should definitely look at what she's eating. are you feeding what they were feeding? not that you should but if you're feeding different then it's probably something she's eating.

They're still eating grain that we got from their first farm, but the hay is different, and we haven't gotten around to getting their salt block and minerals yet. My husband's going into the city on Saturday morning. (It's Thursday night now.) I kind of have a feeling that's the problem, but it doesn't seem like consuming salt can make her milk sweeter.

Browse can change the taste...also dont get a salt block get the loose salt for them as the loose minerals...they love it and by the time they lick the blocks they still dont get enough salt or minerals and might break their teeth trying to bite it...not good. Instead of hay try alfafa pellets or alfafa hay...its better than grass hay. Mine have been on pellets for a few months since we ran out of hay and not as much waste either.To me its more economical also. Good luck

I've heard the quality of hay affects the taste of the milk. A friend of mine only feeds the goats that are milking really high quality hay. She feeds high quality, sweet smelling, (usually alfalfa) hay to the ones in milk and then the lower quality to the rest.

Since your hay is the only thing you say has changed, I would assume that is what the problem is. Not a guarantee, but more than likely.

-Kim

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom