goats - pregnancy

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by friendlyearth, Jan 18, 2009.

1. friendlyearth

friendlyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    near Olympia, wa
    I have a young doe (approx 10 months) that is pregnant. We are very excited! I am wondering how much work we need to so she is more touchable in the udder area. She is approximately 12 weeks along and doesn't like her udder touched at all (we are being very gentle). Should we be concerned or is she perhaps just very tender right now? I have read some good and not so good birthing stories and I'm hoping for a good one.

2. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Congrats on the soon to be baby or babies!

My girls are not to thrilled about anyone touching their stuff either but I keep working with them no matter what. If they get fickle I move on to another area so they don't stress it. I start by rubbing their fat bellies which they didn't care for at first but now they love it and expect it every time they see me...if I don't reach down and rub them, they rub up against my legs almost knocking me over. LOL!

Do you use a milking or hoof trimming stand when trying to work with her?

On the other hand you still have enough time to keep working with her. [​IMG]

As for the tenderness, I could imagine that just like women, they could very well be tender.

Good Luck!

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    My girl who just kidded earlier this week didn't ever care for having her belly or udder touched either. I used to hold her by the collar and touch her all over just to get her used to it, but she still definitely didn't care for it. Once she kidded, she didn't care at all. I think that once she knew she had something to feed, she was fine with me touching her udder and milking her.

4. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:I agree with your last statement PotterWatch. My Mama Goat still isn't going to let me do much of anything with her udders but when she only had one kid, I ended up having to relieve her as the baby would only nurse one side. She seemed very grateful for the few days I had to do it, but now, no way! On the up side she still wants her belly rubbed!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  5. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    I think most just natural don't like being touched there. All I can say is keep at it and hopefully she'll learn to tolerate it.

I have one doe that as a kid loved to have her udder rubbed, she's currently bred for the first time, we'll see how she feels about it now!

6. friendlyearth

May 16, 2008
    near Olympia, wa
    Thanks everyone! We won't stress about it, but we will keep trying [​IMG] Also, how worried should I be about coyotes racoons and other unfriendly farm visitors? Should I have a fully enclosed stall? Thanks.

7. friendlyearth

May 16, 2008
    near Olympia, wa
    Quote:We don't, but we will definitely work on the scratching the belly [​IMG]

8. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    If the coyotes are getting very close I would worry, I'd be sure to have her as protected as possible.

I didn't have to worry about my girl that likes the udder rubs. Was out doing lig and udder checks. She was laying down, reached under to feel her udder and expected her to jump up instead she rolled over to give me a better feel!

Other then her, most my girls hate udder checks.

9. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    I wouldn't worry about her letting you touch, or milk, her udder. Misty was horrible, but right after she ahd her kids, she was fine with letting us milk her (she was in a stand though). And yes, I would worry about coyotes, especialy when you have (goat) kids!

10. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    We try to always use a stall. There are enough "I should haves" when kidding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by