Goats time shelter

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by foamspoon, Dec 19, 2008.

1. foamspoon

foamspoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2007
    Is it normal for the goats to spend a lot of time inside their shelter not outside in non rainy weather?

Bryan

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  2. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    Well are the grazing on pasture? or have free range hay? if so then they are just being lazy and processing there cud. But I was always told that they do that because its a safety thing, the longer they stay out in the open and eat,(they are more vulnerable to predators)

3. Tn Gamebirds

Tn Gamebirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine usually stay outside in the pasture. Unless it's raining then they come into the barn and eat hay.

4. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Some of mine love being in their shelters and some will stay outside. they go out to graze and when they come back in they like to sleep in their shelters when its cold or windy. Some sun and sleep, but I got some that just hang out in it.

5. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi I have one that is on the lazy side, unless it is for food she will stay in her dog house usually. But then I have one on the other end of it too who even in the pouring rain you have to drag in so she don't get sick. I think some of it all depends on the goat and it's their personal choice.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Goats are funny creatures. Mine will play in the pasture in the dead of night with ice on the ground and spend half the day laid up in the barn like they are at Motel 6 hoping for room service.

Lazy beasts!

7. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] yup that sounds about right [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by