Goats, when are they considered full grown?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by howfunkyisurchicken, Jul 30, 2011.

1. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I have the tiniest pygmy goat *I've* ever seen. A friend of mine had a couple of surprise babies, she kept the female and the little man came to live at my house. He is a wethers. I guess he's about 4 months old now, and his horns are getting bigger and he's filling out. He just looks so dainty and prissy [​IMG] so as a complete goat newbie, how old until he is considered full grown? Here's a picture for size reference. He's not much taller than the standard sized chickens standing next to him. All you can see of him is his little white butt [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm not displeased with his size, I still love to carry him around like a baby (even if he doesn't love it). He just seems very small, even to me. Anybody else out there with very, very tiny pygmy goats? Can you post some pictures of them? Thanks in advance!

2. FreckleFace

FreckleFace Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2011
    I an a goat newbie, too, but I just wanted to say that your tiny little guy is adorable! [​IMG]

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Quote:Haha- thanks. I think he's pretty cute [​IMG]

4. elevan

elevan Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Pygmies aren't considered fully matured until age 3.

Might I suggest that you head on over to www.backyardherds.com it's a BYC sister site and has lots of members with goats. I think you'll learn a lot there.

5. misfitfarm

misfitfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Lorimor, Iowa
    He is close to the size of my little doe who was born in March. They are tiny [​IMG] The only thing she can "take on" is the five month old leghorn chickens [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by