Goats!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by minichicks05, Mar 5, 2016.

1. minichicks05

minichicks05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    My kids 12 years old and 7 will not stop bugging me about how they want goats.
    Does anyone know goats that are good for pets/companion and how to take care of them?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Goats can be easy or hard, depending on how prepared you are and how knowledgeable you become. I would do some reading. There's too much to know by any one person telling you. Good luck in your quest.

3. minichicks05

Sep 23, 2015
    Thank you I will need it!

4. MeredithW

MeredithW Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2015
    Minnesota
    We have six Pygmy goats, and they are the best creatures ever! They are loving and affectionate! We originally got them to eat some weeds out of our sandbox, which worked a little . . . I guess. Pygmys are small goats. Less than 60 pounds, usually. They are picky eaters. (at least mine are). They don't require very much care or space to live in. My six are currently living in a fenced in area of about one acre. This summer we are going to set up a fence around a four acre plot behind our house for them. In the winter I used up twenty-four bales of hay and am still going on hay until the grass grows in. :) If you just want them for a pet, wethers are the bests. In the summer they can live off of grass and grains. Wethers, however, cannot eat grains. Pygmy goats are very cheap and great companions. ;) You do, however need to have more than one. One goat can get extremely depressed and will be very loud.

Please ask if you have any more questions!!

5. sarahann

sarahann New Egg

Mar 11, 2016
    OK I'm a new goat momma, I have a buck that's 15wks, and two does that are 13 and 11wks. I've heard so many opinions on how much I should feed them, can you all help me out with tour advice? There all pygmy.

6. minichicks05

Sep 23, 2015
    First of all, [​IMG]
    and I heard that too can anyone help us out with too

7. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Free access to a good mixed grass hay, slowly introduce pasture if they aren't used to it yet, and you can feed a small amount of goat ration formulated for kids while they are growing but most pygmies don't need it, follow the bag directions and always start slow and make any increases slowly. Also free access to a loose goat mineral and I also give regular baking soda free choice to help prevent digestion problems. I also give some tree trimmings like willow and apple tree, and things like extra produce, lettuce, pumpkin, apples, bananas, and occasionally things like crackers, bread, and tortilla chips as treats.

The number one rule to follow with goats is to make all feed changes slowly, or risk dead goats. Also goats won't consume dirty things, mine won't often eat stuff that has hit the ground. With hay they won't eat the stems, only the leaves so expect about half waste from hay.

8. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I am assuming you have the buck separated from the does. Pygmies especially can get pregnant at astonishingly young ages. When you go to introduce them to green pasture, make sure they have a belly full of dry hay before you turn them out on the grass. Limit the time they are out on the pasture at first too and gradually increase the time they are out there. That way you will prevent a lot of digestive upsets and greatly lower the possibility of bloat.

9. waddles99

waddles99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    NJ
    Goats are moderate keepers, i wouldn't call them easy to care for but certainly not hard. Its not like a dog who requires constant attention. They are farm animals, after all. If you have kids i suggest wethers(castrated males). They are the friendliest and usually cheaper than does. You do not want a buck. They are smelly, possibly dangerous, and all around not a "pet". The only people who i know that have bucks use them as breeders. Wethers are the best pets. You need two or more of them. Goats are very social creatures, and since you can't be with them 24/7, they need another goat who will be. Goats establish bonds with each other, and actually will have specific goats that they recognize as friends. Good fencing is a must. Use 4x4 goat field fencing or 2x4 welded wire. That way they can't get their heads stuck in. If kids are going to be around them, you may want to get your goats dehorned. Horned goats aren't usually dangerous, but can be around kids. They love things to jump on and climb on, such as tables, benches, spools, and chairs. Make sure to include that in their pen so they don't get bored. Goats don't need much space if you don't care about having the pasture be dirt year round. A 30 x 30 pen will do just fine for 2 pygmies if you feed hay. If you want them to be able to graze, i would allow them a larger pen. You will have to feed hay in the winter anyway. Some goats are picky about what they eat, others are not. All depends on personality. Ive had goats who ate paper, straw, and product labels. Ive never had a super picky goat, but as a general rule, keep their hay clean, dry, and off of the ground. Use a hay bag or a manger. Orchard grass is good for goats, they like it. A little on the expensive side, but worth it. They will need clean water at all times. Grain is usually fed 2x daily depending on the feeding regiment. Grain is like candy to them, they love it. Don't feed to much, about a half cup per goat is good. Goat minerals and baking soda should be provided free choice 24/7. Minerals you can buy in a block or loose. Mine like the block better. Whichever works for you.

Sorry for the long read. All in all goats are pretty simple to care for once you gain some knowledge. They are very fun to keep and to have around.

10. glimmerchicks

glimmerchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2016
    I have five nubians and they are very friendly! I would recommend getting wethers if you are keeping goats just as pets. If you raise them for milk like I do, keep does for milk but remember that in order to have milk they must be bred yearly. If you keep goats just for companionship I would agree with the others and say they are require moderate energy to keep. Nigerian dwarfs, pygmy and mini versions of any breed are good if you don't have a lot of space. Good luck with your goats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by