1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Goats

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by McCord6, Nov 14, 2009.

1. My husband found this ad and he was VERY curious about the goats the guy is offering so he called him up to ask questions. The guy said he never had to buy feed with theses goats, they eat everything available to them in the fields. NO, we aren't thinking about getting goats right now but we are looking at the future (FAR future). Is it true that you can get a few goats and not have to buy feed but have them just eat off the land? If so...sounds like a good way to clean up my fields! LATER!

http://gainesville.craigslist.org/grd/1462888400.html

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Those look to be mixed breed, cute though!

We have one goat, a friend for my horse, we do feed him, the same stuff the horse gets, good hay and a couple of cups of senior horse feed at night (or he'd steal it anyway) they can be picky eaters, they don't like to eat off the ground, they do love weeds - my boy will eat the weeds out the hay first if he can find any.

my boy is a bit distructive, he's killed two tree's that were in their pasture area, I'd not be too excited to let them have at it - they'll eat the bark off the tree's as well as leaves and such.

Edit to add, you do need to keep more than one or even more than two - they like to stick together in a herd and keep each other safe and happy.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  3. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    nope. when i had goats, they didnt touch the grass but they did eat leaves, weeds, etc. they still wanted their feed though, especially in the winter. i would really really learn a lot about goats and the expenses they incur so that you dont end up with a situation similar to that poor donkey.
    they also have to have shots, hooves trimmed, they are definitely a lot of work.

4. Quote:Which is why I am not getting anymore animals at the moment but I am doing research and such for future acknowledge. I regret the day hubby brought the donkey home unexpected! When we do get back on track, I am thinking about getting maybe 2 or 3 goats, a few chickens (maybe 5 for a start), and 2 pigs but that is MUCH MUCH later in the future!

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:Which is why I am not getting anymore animals at the moment but I am doing research and such for future acknowledge. I regret the day hubby brought the donkey home unexpected! When we do get back on track, I am thinking about getting maybe 2 or 3 goats, a few chickens (maybe 5 for a start), and 2 pigs but that is MUCH MUCH later in the future!

I think pigs would be the most difficult. I wanted pigs, but so far we've not gotten any - mine would be kept for BACON! [​IMG]

6. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    pigs are cute when they are babies..
    i remember years and years ago, we lived in a studio apartment and i convinced my husband to get me a pot bellied pig, thinking that they stayed 5-10 pounds. [​IMG]
    i am still thankful to this day that we got lost and never found the place!

7. dragonchick

dragonchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    Goats can survive without store bought feed and hay IF you have the land and diversity of forage. Keep in mind that it would take a lot of acreage to keep a couple goats fed this way. They don't as a rule eat grass but they do eat most weeds, tree bark and small tender limbs, leaves, shrubs and the like. The problems arise when the area doesn't contain enough mineral content of the correct ratio in the soils. Copper, selenium are needed to keep the goat healthy. Iron content will cancel out the copper and selenium making it unavailable to the goats system. Most areas of the US are lacking in copper and selenium but have too much iron. This is one of the main reason hay and commercial feeds are used. We try to mimic the values of natural forage in a contained situation. So is it possible? Yes it is. Is it probable it could be done in todays limited situations, No.

8. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Goats do very well providing you have enough field and browse for them. It's the healthiest way to keep goats. They know what they need and if they have the freedom to get to it they are better off than penned goats that are fed grain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by