Goats

moms_pantry

Songster
13 Years
Apr 15, 2008
Is there a breed of goat that is better for milking? We had a mixed breed goat years ago, but her milk was bitter. Could it be from what she ate?

My goats are nubian/saanan crosses. My two biggest girls give a gallon each morning and night. I really prefer that combination goat. They are big and friendly girls who make a lot of milk.

I know that what a goat eat can completely change the taste of her milk.

If a goat is on pasture, any weeds or plants that she eats can turn the milk to an off flavor.

The people that I know who milk their goats keep them off pasture and feed them specific hay/feed so the milk always tastes the same.

Alpines and Sanaans are good milkers. So are Nubians who also have a higher butterfat content in their milk than the other two.

I like nubians also, but one of the best milk goats I have ever had was an everyday mixed goat. I've found the milk taste the same from goat to goat. What they eat can effect the taste. Wild garlic and onion grow in most pastures and can give the milk an off taste.

Thanks. Now I have to convince DH to let me get one, even though I was the one who decided to give away the other ones because they kept getting out of their pen, but they only did it when he was offshore.

You will need to get two or more or you will have problems.

Goats need companions of their own kind.

Goats are social. They are herd animals. A lonely bored goat is mischevious and can do alot of damage. Make sure you have have tall strong fences and you may want to run an electric wire to keep them in.

Seriously. If you don't have a good fence system and a buddy for your dairy goat you will be chasing down roaming goats and wondering what in the world happened to put the dents and scratches in your car/ truck, what ate the garden, and where did the bark and leaves go on the tree out in the yard. Not to mention all the little poop balls decorating everything - and they don't melt and wash away in the rain either.

Someone said it perfectly the other day -

If your fences won't hold water they won't hold goats.

We had hot wire when we had goats before, but we won't put it in the swamp this time. I don't want to wade in there and find out where the wire is down. I would definitely have to get it a friend.

Back
Top Bottom