goats

Rabbits3049

Hatching
May 12, 2015
I'm looking for some goats and I'm wondering if I can get info on what to feed them(I'm looking at wether dwarf goat)

Last edited:
I'm looking for some goats and I'm wondering if I can get info on what to feed them(I'm looking at weather dwarf goat)

A wether is a neutered male goat. You say the word just like weather and whether. But it is spelled wether.

Basics for feeding: hay (this is most important, it is the bulk of the diet and should always be available) and loose mineral for goats (do not get a sheep mineral. Though some cattle minerals have the right ratios/amounts to be good for goats, but since you are new, you don't know what to look for yet. Stick with a goat mineral. Do not get a block) that is always available for them to lick up. Grain is recommended if a goat is growing like if the animal is under a year old, pregnant, or lactating.

Goats must be kept in pairs at least. They are social animals, they are herd animals. They do poorly when kept alone. So at least with your post stating you are interested in goats, that means you're planning on more than one, good!

Feed needs to be balanced. An animal should eat a food with a calcium:phosphorus ratio that is 2:1. In boys, if this ratio is not maintained, they can become prone to urinary calcifications, which is a medical emergency. This is exacerbated if they are wethered at too young an age. Feeding a feed that has ammonium chloride in the ingredients, or adding it yourself to the feed (containers can be bought at most feed stores) as a top dress, can help prevent them.

welcome-byc.gif

I think you mean wethers, goats, don't know what is means but have seen that mentioned often. We do have many members with goats but, I am not one of them. You might put "Goat threads," in the searchbox and see what pops up.
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom