goaty tasting milk

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by 1 old hen, Jan 29, 2014.

1. 1 old hen

1 old hen Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2013
    I have 2 milk goats, 1 has a goaty taste to her milk and the outher does not. They run together and eat the same feed I feed. I am trying to figure out what is going on? They are nubiuns and lamoncha mix. No buck in with them only when breeding and then in his lot. After breeding they both have his taste for 2 to 3 days but that goes away. Still the one has the goaty taste.

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Does the milk taste at all salty? Has she had this problem before? Some goats give goaty flavored milk, but it is usually Toggs or Togg crosses that are the problem. Never had this with a Nubian. Subclinical mastitis and a mineral deficiency can cause off flavored milk. Have her checked for mastitis and offer a mineral mix would be a good start. Also, does this doe's breath smell different than the one with the good milk?

3. PioneerPrincess

PioneerPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    What kind of hay are they getting? As above poster said, it could be a mineral/vitamin deficiency. Do your goats have any access to minerals? Loose goat minerals are the way to go. Also, you may need to check your county to see if you are deficient in copper (if so, she may need a copper bolus) and selenium/vitamin E (if so, BoSe through a vet/ vet prescription or selenium/vitamin E gel).

4. 1 old hen

Nov 4, 2013
    her milk has always tasted goaty. will have her checked.

5. 1 old hen

Nov 4, 2013
    the hay is orchard grass,some clover and alfalfa. will get loose minerals and check with county.thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by