God help me! My hens feet are frozen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by animals1981, Dec 13, 2008.

1. animals1981

animals1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    OMG My hens feet are frozen like a pink color? She can still walk she just cant bend them! I DONT GET IT The coup is totally draft free and has no snow in it! Every other bird is fine but her!

Please god dont tell me her feet will fall off! My lord!!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Are they really frozen or are they just really cold and stiff?

Bring her in, keep her warm, and keep an eye out on the foot. Maybe her circulation isn't the best and she stood somewhere cold?

3. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    I think if they are frozen they turn black, she's probably just cold and needs a good warming up. I doubt they'll fall off. About where do you live?

4. animals1981

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    they are pinkish cold and stiff

so maybe their coup is to sealed up? not enough air u mean?

I thought it was circulated enough [​IMG]

the other chickens get crap stuck on their feet I hate it! I Try to clean the ground but its frozen!

Ok so my bird should be ok then? shes inside now

SHould i put vaseline or polysporin on her feet?

I live in Kingston Ontario

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  5. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    You might want to try warming up her feet slowly... Bring her inside, put her in a warm place with blankets.

What do you guys think about soaking her feet in some warm water?

6. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    I fill water bottles w/ warm water and put it in her bedding underneath some old towls it will warm her feet if she stands on them.

7. BeckyLa

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    I don't think I would put them in water, it may be too much of a shock and hurt, I'd just let her warm on her own.

I'm also wondering what you use for a roost. A 2x4" laid with the 4" side up allows birds to roost and when they sit down their feathers cover their feet and keep them warm. Just something to think about.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Perhaps try to add some more bedding to the ground so it will be warmer? Make sure there is no big draft in the coop, but there is some airflow for humidity to get out.

But about the circulation, maybe that hen's blood circulation isn't as good as the other hens circulation so was more prone to cold feet because not as much warm blood flows to them.

A luke warm foot soak might help.

If they do get frost bit, I don't think they will turn black imediately, if they start to die, then they will turn black and necrotic.

9. animals1981

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    shes in a cat carrier on news paper right now

10. BeckyLa

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    If they do get frost bit, I don't think they will turn black imediately, if they start to die, then they will turn black and necrotic.

Thanks, SC, I didn't know that.

If you have shavings or a towel, I'd put it in there for her to lay on to warm her feet.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by