God im I glad my chickens love me!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Whitewinterwolf, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Well today was interesting to say the least...Now to set the scene. We live in pretty much the middle of nowhere, our neighbors are close, but not that close. Big wide grass feild fenced in for about 2 1/2 acres I think, the coop is in the middle of that, and then were surrounded by woods!
    Now...
    Someone left the gate to my backyard open...[​IMG]
    I had no idea it was open as we have four gates to our massive fenced in backyard. Well...needless to say of course my hens noticed, and like a solder on a mission my rooster led them out into the forest...
    I think they were loose for maybe an hour or two before I took a bag of trash out to the garbage can and found Roopert and his lady's huddled by the trash can sending off alarm calls...Have you ever seen 15 chickens huddled around a trash can??? Its amusing. Sorry no pictures, I kinda panicked ^^;
    Anyway, after the shock wore off I hit my knees and yelled "Mr Roo-roo come here, come to mama!" ...he did...
    My Buff Orphinton Rooster shot over to me and jumped right into my lap. Yay for me! And who followed after Mr. roopert? Everyone else XD *score!*
    Well, i popped into the garage and grabbed the orange cup (the treat cup) and called them.
    What is more amusing then watching 15 chickens huddle around a trash can? Watching 15 chickens follow mommy all the way around the house to the closest gate, and then huddle underneath me like I was some sort of umbrella!
    Do you think my fiancee helped? no, do you think he could have grabbed the camera? no...He was to busy laughing hystaricaly at me and my hens [​IMG] and then at me because of how hysterical I got after the fact. [​IMG] But dont worry, I cried and made him feel bad, now hes getting me an incubator for Christmas [​IMG] <-- for some reason it feels like I cheated?
    Seriously though talk about ten years off my life!!!
    I had just had a nightmare where my hens went off foraging and never came back [​IMG] and that was all I could think of! <--I cant be the only one who has nightmares of stuff like this am I?
    I am so glad my baby's love me T_T

Anyone else have a near panic experience with there hens getting loose? or a good story of how DH messed up and owed you big? XD

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  2. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    No good stories of loose chickens. Your panic read loud and clear. Thank goodness our kids recognize and follow the call for treats!

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:[​IMG] Thats cute! Glad they were all okay. Now you will be getting a incubator out of it!! [​IMG] Good job!

4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG] I am so glad they are all ok.

5. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    b.hromada :

Now you will be getting a incubator out of it!! [​IMG] Good job!

Oh yeah XD I deserve that incubator after the near heart attack I almost had!​

6. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Oh I know, I was so worried that they would just run off and nest in a tree and id never find them again T_T Or worse, a raccoon or coyote would snack on them @[email protected]
    At least there safe and happy back in there yard [​IMG]

7. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:Oh yeah XD I deserve that incubator after the near heart attack I almost had!

thats tellin' him!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    Nothing beats a chickens love. I know you will be triple checking all gates now. I too had a scare a week ago, came home from grocery shopping, and my oldest daughter says to me "Momma, there is a big white dog in the back yard". And my chickens are free ranging!!!!!!
    I race out there, thinking I am going to have dead chickens all over the yard. The stray dog is over at the far corner of the fence, barking at the neighbor's dogs (my two dogs were in the house). I start yelling at the dogs to get out, and my chickens, hearing my voice, start running across the yard towards me. Now I am in more of a panic, because all I am thinking is this dog is going to go after my running chickens. So I am running towards my chickens, while never taking my eyes off the stray dog, the dog is running around me & the chickens to get to the front side of the fence, and I am scooting my chickens into their run, while walking sideways so I can still keep an eye on the dog, but still be between the dog & my chickens. Got everyone in, did a fast head count, all were there. But still can't figure out how this dog got in, the whole back yard is 5 ft welded wire fencing. No dig hole, no bent fencing, police came, but Animal Control was not working, so we had to let the dog go. And 4 hrs later, the dog came back!

I can understand completely how you felt, so glad they are safe & well, and that they came to you when you called.

9. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Oh god now thats scary! I would have died the moment my hens ran at me with a strange dog in the yard [​IMG] All my hens have to do is hear the sound of the fence gate clicking and they take off!
    Im now bolt locking all of the gates...NO ONE is leaving anything open this time!!!
    Im so glad to hear your hens were safe though! How scary!

10. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Our chickens burst through the door of their first tractor when a coyote was after them. He came right up in the yard while I was in the house. I heard horrible noises and ran out in my socks not knowing how many chickens were going to be there. I was sooooo glad to see they were all safe! They stuck to me like glue and followed me across the yard, around the house, and into their run. And they never follow me anywhere. And I was a wreck afterwards! Gives me the shudders just remembering. Glad your chickens were safe!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by