1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Godzilla ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Moonwalker, May 7, 2008.

1. Moonwalker

Moonwalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2008
    Washburn, MO
    On March 5th, I got my shipment from Cackle which included 6 baby ducks (hatched 3/03/08) There were a pair of Khaki Campbells and 2 pair of what I am told are Rouens.
    At 2 months old, they are HUMONGUS! Is this normal? They are about the size of the Muscovy ducks my neighbors had when I was a kid.
    This is when they were about a week old
    [​IMG]
    At about 3 weeks
    [​IMG]
    and now, at 2 months! (that is the same tub they were in the previous pic)
    [​IMG]
    Good grief! How much bigger are they going to get?
    I am in the process of building them a (MUCH) larger pen at this time.
    Also, does anyone know how long it takes for the full adult coloring to show? At this point, they all look alike, except one has a faint ring on his(?) neck. Right now, they all look exactly like the wld mallard hen that hangs out in the pond at the stables (except theyare 3 times her size!)

2. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    My 2-3 week old Khaki Campbell is a monster compared to my other 3 ducklings. Maybe they grow fast? I'm not sure what the deal is, but for being so young mine is very large.

Your Rouens look big, too. My ducks are also from Cackle, as well as my very large Chinese White goslings. Maybe Cackle breeds giant waterfowl! [​IMG] At least giant babies. lol

3. Moonwalker

Jan 9, 2008
    Washburn, MO
    The Khakis are as big as the Rouens, maybe a bit slimmer.
    I'd bet the biggest weighs about 8 lbs!

4. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Rouens are meat ducks, think of them as pekins but mallard colored. Another way to tell the sex on them at that age is the voice. If any quack they are hens. The males will have a raspy sound. The males will get their color at around 6-8 months if I remember correctly. The campbells should only weight about 4 lbs when full size, the rouens will weigh 12+.

5. Moonwalker

Jan 9, 2008
    Washburn, MO
    They stick so close together and yak constantly, so it's hard to tell which one is making what sound.
    If Khakis are only supposed to be 4 lbs, then somebody better tell my guys, cuz that's almost where they are now!
    I put an extension on their pen today and they started gobbling up everything in sight. As if I didn't feed them enough!
    [​IMG]
    Feathered WeedWhackers
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  6. dragonshiner

dragonshiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I just acquired 7 khaki ducklings and 1 runner duckling. Lemme tell ya, if they get to be the size of godzilla I'd love 'em even more. But right now they're all just about one week old and I'm not rushing anything.

7. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    They grow fast. I have muscovy babies the same age as my khakis and runners and they are so much smaller, they mature slower then the other types.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by