Godzilla Egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Blesser, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Blesser

Blesser Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2010
    I went in the chicken coop and almost fainted, I found this colossal egg in the nest box.
    What can I do to prevent this from happening again?

Here's a picture:
    [​IMG]

I decided to crack it open- I found a double yolker:
    [​IMG]

Can these kill a chicken?

2. Casey3043

Casey3043 Chillin' With My Peeps

I had one like that a couple of years ago. Although it probably hurt to lay it, all hens were looking normal that day and none seemed any the worse for wear. I don't know which hen it came from. Mine was a double yolk also, although I had my camera ready thinking it might be a triple! It wasn't, and I ate it for breakfast.

[​IMG]

If she managed to lay it, it can't hurt her now, and I don't think there's anything you can do in the way of prevention.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  3. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    [​IMG] Nice... I miss the double yolkers, havent gotten one in awhile.

4. DragonFeathers

DragonFeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Maryland
    I don't think there is anything you can do to prevent this from happening again, I have an EE that does this quite often and my Mother tells me she will lay herself out or stop laying period. IDK

5. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Younger laying hens seem to lay the most double yokers like that, I never get them anymore, they're two years old now.

6. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    O... and I'm pretty sure it just happens every once in awhile and in new layers or if your hen goes broody and doesnt lay for awhile, dont think theres anything you can or cant do about it.

7. Blesser

Blesser Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2010
    Alright, thanks for the replies. Just checked on them and everyone seems fine and normal.

8. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

I can't believe it. I see this thread, post in it that I haven't seen any, and lookie what I find today:

[​IMG]

It weighs 3.4 oz. A large egg weighs 2 oz. The eggs around vary from 2.2 to 2.6 oz.

9. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    I have a hen who lays one of those daily. Kinda freaks me out. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by