Godzilla's chest wound...

OccamsTazer

Songster
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
Tuscaloosa, AL
1) What type of bird , age and weight.
Godzilla is a 14lb Leghorn roo. He is just under a year old.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
He has a hole in his chest on his breastbone. I noticed it last week when I was putting some ointment on his comb. It looks quite an old wound. I feel terrible that it's been going on so long, but how often do we turn over our roosters and inspect? :-/
The wound is about the size of a nickel. There is no granulation or signs of healing. The edges are hard, scabby, and tight.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
No idea, but at least a week.

4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
Little swelling, not much.

5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
I expect this wound was the result of Cap'n Nasty, an OEGB roo whose temperment earned him a trip to freezer camp.

6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
All normal

7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Normal

8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
I have been giving him 1/2 cc PPG, IM, and I have cleansed it several times with Blue lotion

9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Treat myself. I love these birds, but they are food animals

10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Will try to get pic later when J gets home to help me

11) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Coop with pine shavings and hay

I am pondering whether I need to more thoroughly clean the area and debride the wound in order to jumpstart healing. The area is very hard, and the open area of the hole is full of a hard cake of dirt and debris. I don't think it's going to close by itself, especially being right on the breastbone. I have a surgical scalpel I could use to shave off the dead tissue, but I don't want to hurt him. I have seen people talk about "hypnotizing" a chicken, could someone tell me more about how to do that, also?

As far as the wound is concerned, I don't really know if it should be opened up and cleaned. I haven't had too much experience with large wounds. I don't know if the blue stuff has any antibiotic properties. If it were me, I would probably rinse it real well and slather it with neosporin to start. Someone with experience with open type wounds will most likely chime in with better ideas. If you could get a picture, that may help .

Well J and I hauled him into the house last night, and I gently scrubbed the hole with a soft soft toothbrush and warm solution of antiseptic. I filled the hole with some antibiotic ointment. I sealed it with a big bandage, and hopefully when we bring him in tonight it will be soft enough that the washing will get some of the debris out.
Someone on SS mentioned breast blisters, I think that could be what happened. He is a monster, and he used to sleep on his belly on top of the coop. I redesigned the perches awhile back, and he's been sleeping on a low wide one, so he doesn't do the flat on a surface anymore.
This whole mess makes me feel like the worst bird owner ever :-/

Back
Top Bottom