GOF 15 section breeding pen questions..??? any info?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by sniper338, Jan 2, 2014.

1. sniper338

sniper338 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    I'm looking at the sectioned off quail breeding pen cages... I'm sure yall have seen them, one cage has 3 sections... 5 cages in a stand, has waterer, feeder, and floor is slopped for eggs to roll out, dropping pans included... looks like a nice easy clean set up to have things set up much nicer than what I have... Any pros and cons any of you have... I know I would be able to separate my birds a lot more for sure..

2. sniper338

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    [​IMG]

3. ggschulz

ggschulz Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2013
    Ok, so it kind of depends on your space and what you are trying to accomplish. From a pure production, sanitation, and space perspective, it looks like a good way to go and a couple of the bigger producers around here use something similar and it works great.

I am a country boy, and we are raising ours for eggs, meat, and the fun of playing with the genetics/color and I firmly believe that they have to be productive first, and pets second. That being said, I like being able to see and interact with them to a certain extent and for them to be something my 4 and 8 year old boys can enjoy and help out with. I would probably not use something quite that "contained" and commercial since I have a little more space and like the interaction, but again, depends what you want to do.

This is what I am using for breeding cages. They have since been installed and are covered with plastic to protect from sun, rain, and wind:
    [​IMG]

You can sort of see them here, above the chickens.
    [​IMG]

This was awhile back before I had the quail. The chickens don't live there, I just had them out "mowing the grass" so before we get a conversation started about intermingling, they are separated....

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Sniper, GGSchulz has the larger cages that I think might be better. Much larger and more "interactive" as he puts it. [​IMG] Better for your Bobs as well.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  5. sniper338

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    I got these ordered... We will see how it goes... Im more for the production for meat... I will write up a reveiw once I get them going and see how well they work... There doesnt seem to be any good reviews on this stuff so I guess I am a guinea here, they are pricy, but I am lacked for space... We will see what happens..

6. ggschulz

ggschulz Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2013
    Good luck! Let us know how it goes...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by