Going away and have chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lisa_anne, May 11, 2011.

1. lisa_anne

lisa_anne Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2009
    I am going away for four days. My chicks will be about 3 weeks old. I have someone who will stop by once a day to put fresh feed and water out and to check on them. Is this enough? Should I try to have someone stop by twice a day? Oh, and they will be inside the house in their brooder for this time period, not outside in a coop.

Thanks!

2. cackydoodledoo

cackydoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    As long as they have fresh water and food and plenty to last a whole day at a time I don't see why it wouldn't work.

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    They will be just fine.[​IMG]. You might miss them terribly though.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    The last time I went away and had chicks I had my brother come and house sit. We were gone for a week. I have lots of critters so it was easier just to have him stay over. I currently have 21 2.5 week olds and I only have to feed and water them once a day. They have 2 of those long, red feeders with the holes in them and a gallon waterer. If it really worries you add an extra feeder and waterer for a little peace of mind. Good luck [​IMG]

5. purelypoultry

purelypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    Quote:I'd say the same. Make sure they have enough water and food to make it through each day and they should be fine. [​IMG]

6. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    I did what you are doing ,,and I say 2x a day if possible is it someone who can take a few to see them ...I had one get picked on pretty bad I had no pick and it ended up being no problem make sure ...whoever helps you knows what to look for in the birds..I am sure they will be fine mine were even with the small incident..

7. lisa_anne

lisa_anne Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2009
    Thanks. I think they will be ok with being checked on once a day. They don't really peck at each other, so I am not worried about that unless their behaviour changes drastically before then. I appreciate all of the advice! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by