Going away for 10 days.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Nanna Fairy, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Nanna Fairy

Nanna Fairy New Egg

Feb 28, 2016
    We have 15 chooks but have to be away for 10days.they are free running during the day but are secured at night. Trying to get someone to come in to feed, water and clean BUT not to let out. How will the chooks suffer. They do have 2 large coops with spacious runs

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] You might try penning them up for several hours each day prior to your trip. That will give an indication of how they will react and perhaps help in conditioning them to being penned up.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Sour has left you some good advice on getting them prepared prior to your departure. Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Enjoy BYC :frow

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - enjoy your trip and hope your chickens will forgive you when you return! [​IMG]

Chers
    CT

6. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I know that can be a concern leaving your flock in someone else's care while you are gone. If you have plenty of run space, maybe some extra feeders and waterers, your birds should be fine while you are gone. You could add a couple things to the run to keep boredom from setting in...like a bale of hay for them to tear up or a cabbage hanging from the top to peck at.

Good luck!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I hope you have reliable help to care for them. Have heard many nightmare stories on BYC of caretakers that never showed up. People returning to find their birds dead or dying because no one filled the water or the feeder. Or not locked up at night, and many lost to predators. Some folks never go away on vacations or necessary trips because they know - no one else will care for them the way they do. They just resign themselves to staying home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by