Going away for a few days will my chicken be ok?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Plucky Pullet, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Plucky Pullet

Plucky Pullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2010
    Right now my chicken is very young and kept confined in a very large cardboard box. I have to put a towel over the box when we are not around so she doesn't jump up and roost and then wander around the garage freely, with no help to get back in the box.
    I will be going away for 3 days/ 2 nights and I want to know if my chicken will be ok being confined for that amount of time? I have a feeder that will hold enough food and a 1 gallon automatic water so I not worried about food or water, just about keeping a 5-7 week old (not sure exact age) confined for 3 days...
    Advice/opinions please?
    thanks in advance

2. operator16

operator16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Colorado
    Do you still have a heat lamp on your chick? That could be a big fire hazard if you were to leave pointed at/in a cardboard box unsupervised for that long. I imagine the food and water would be enough. What if the towel fell in? What if the bird jumped out?

I guess those would be my concerns if it were my bird. Do you have someone that could watch your chicken while you are gone? We have a pet sitter friend who sometimes looks in on people horses and chickens. I wonder if there is one where you live?

Good luck.

If you were my neighbor I'd love to help!

3. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Is this "1" chicken? if so, it will be fine....with a towel across the top, can it get light? or is it just light filtered through the top of the towel?

4. Plucky Pullet

Aug 18, 2010
    If you were my neighbor I'd love for you to help :) I only moved here 2 months ago so I don't really know anyone well enough :-( I am concerned about the towel possibly falling in but I can't think of anything else to put over the top of the box to stop Speckles from jumping out. I am disinclined to close the box since that would plunge her into darkness for 2 days, I guess I could try some mesh or some white paper simple taped over the top if she looks up she knows she can;t jump, but it wouldn't be dark either.

5. Plucky Pullet

Aug 18, 2010
    D'Angelo N Va. :

Is this "1" chicken? if so, it will be fine....with a towel across the top, can it get light? or is it just light filtered through the top of the towel?

Just one chicken yes. With the towel over the box it would only be light filtered. Since we've had the chicken we only put the towel on at night, during the day Speckles has free range time in the yard, or hangs out roosting on the box edge watching us do what ever we do. I'm worried about leaving me chicken confined for so long :-(​

6. GoldenCometLady

GoldenCometLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Walker, West Virginia
    I used a window screen over the box when my chicks were little.
    This might work for you. My window screens on the house are
    removable so one of them got used.

7. Plucky Pullet

Aug 18, 2010
    I never thought to remove one of my screens!! Thats a brilliant idea!! thank you I will tell my DH to do that for me and then I won;t spend my ho9liday worring sooo much about my chicken [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by