Going away for the weekend, will the eggs be alright?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickadee93, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Chickadee93

Chickadee93 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    PA
    Well I've gone off the deep end and decided to 'save' a few eggs from the hens to hatch, set up a makeshift incubator complete with digital thermometers and insulation etc, but I'm going away this weekend from Friday-Saturday and want to know if they'll be alright without any turning?? At most they'll be left alone 24 hours..I just don't want any problems with them!

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    They probably will be. What stage are they at? I tend to turn minimally in the first couple of days anyway, since the embryos are so fragile at that point that I don't want to risk setting them down roughly. And while I usually try to turn 5-7 times per day, in my last hatch I only turned 3x a day and the chicks hatched just the same as if I'd turned more often. There were also a couple of days where I was gone all day so I only turned first thing in the morning and last thing at night. I'd say if you turn right before you leave and as soon as you get back, they'll probably be okay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by