Going away for vacation, 4 week old chickens??

Jiskra

Chirping
12 Years
Jun 15, 2010
Maryland
We have 4 chickens that will be 4 weeks on monday. We are leaving for 12 days for vacation. When I purchased the chickens my bf told me to go ahead that he will stay home with them ( he hates driving) well at the last minute he changed his mind and wants to go with us. So my question is would the chickens be ok if someone comes by every other day and fills up their feeder and waterer for them, cleans the brooder etc? They are still kept inside so there is no predator risk. I tried to see how long their food and water lasts and there is still some left ater 2 day period. The only thing is that they kick in pine shavings into their water, there is never poop in it, just the shavings. Will they be ok?
This is what their "brooder" looks like:

38141_1523425213367_1466711342_31331397_4876752_n.jpg

I was also thinking about buying one of those bottle waterers for them jsut in case but not sure where to go buy it? We are leaving tonight and I am starting to panic.

Last edited:
go to your local wal mart or feed store and get 2 or 3 large rabbit waterers and hong them on the sides of your brooder. a sfor feed just get a large dish and set it on bricks or wood inside the brroder so tahy cant get shaving is it. this should last 4 days so someone would only have to stop in 3 times while your gone

see if they could take them to there house while u are gone it might get to hot in your house if the power goes out. i would put in 2 more waters n and a other feeder to put them up on something to .

if the chickens turn the water over n get there bedding wet and they lay on it they might get sick too.

the problem is that my bfs mom has 5 cats and 1 dog, theres no way she can take them in her house. We also live about 25 miles away from her so she can only do every other day
sad.png

We have no a/c to begin with so the chicks are used to it being hot in the house, they are in a sun room where the walls are all windows and that part of the house is well shaded by a huge tree, so I am not worried about that. I am worried about the water though. I will buy the rabit water bottles and see if they can drink from it if so they will be fine. I will put one more feeder in there just in case.
If you guys have any more suggestions please let me know. These are my first chickens adn I really dont want to loose them
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom