going away frot the weekend

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickachickawhat, May 17, 2008.

1. chickachickawhat

chickachickawhat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    hartford county ct
    what should i do? should i leave the coop door open so they can go to the run or should i lock them up?

2. mom wewantchicks!

mom wewantchicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    buckhannon,wv
    im going to quess lock them up,but i am new!! i'll be watching this cafefully as we like to go on weekend trips and now that i have chicks,im thinking hmmmm, what will we do with them. they are not old enough to use the bribe, if you feed my chickens you can have the eggs lol

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    How big is your coop and how secure is the run? How many chickens?

I've left my coop door open on accident before and they were ok, but my run isn't that secure.... I do have a large coop for the number of chickens I have, they have remained in the coop for a few days at a time due to heavy snow.

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  4. GaDawg

GaDawg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    North GA
    Leave them locked up and ask a neighbor or family to come by and check on them. That's what I plan on doing and then give them free eggs for their time.

[​IMG]

Have a good trip!

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Totally depends on coop size and # chickens, and on how secure your run is. If your run is not Fort Knox-like, I would lock them up.

Hopefully you can get someone to check on them at least once a day - collect eggs if they're laying, and make sure the food and water are ok. If there is absolutely no way to get anyone to check, it would be worth leaving a second waterer out, if you have one and space is available, or at least making REAL REAL SURE that the first one can't be tipped over and is unlikely to get pooey.

Have a good weekend [​IMG],

Pat, stuck at home in the rain with a barfing 4 yr old.

6. MaineChickens

MaineChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    My deal is this, he who watches my chickens, gets my eggs for their time. Usually between my neighbor and my fresh egg addicted father, I don't have a problem. If your run is secure I don't see why you can't leave them out, but you'd still want someone gathering eggs and just checking in on your girls...

7. Pitchfork

Pitchfork Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I am glad someone asked this question because I have been wondering about this issue.
    How do people handle vacations, etc.
    My grandaughter wants chickens and since I am on acreage the narural place for them would be here on our place but Grandmother asks who will look after them if we want to travel. She really liked that Hawaian cruise we took last year. Only this year she wants to take the grandkids and their parental units. My neighbors watch after our livestock but have already said they want nothing to do with chickens.
    My plan has been to build the most secure run I can and see if I can find someone to collect eggs and just leave the coop open until I get back as asking someone who does not live right next door to come morning and night to let them out and lock them up just seems too much.
    I feel I could get someone to come every couple of days and check food and water and collect eggs.
    Just curious.
    Mike

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by