Going Away

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by oldpaths1611, Aug 15, 2010.

1. oldpaths1611

oldpaths1611 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2010
    We're first time chicken owners and I have a question. We need to go away for a few days and have no one to watch the chickens. I was wondering if we left plenty of food and water in the coop, will they be alright? They are free range and used to running around most of the day. We'll be gone for four or five days? Any concerns?
  2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer Premium Member

May 11, 2010
    I couldn't leave them for 4-5 days without care. Too many bad things could happen. Predators, accidently dumping the water, and so forth. You have nobody who could check on them? Nobody at all?
  3. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I would prefer to find a trusty friend to come over to check on them periodically. I'm not at a point where I can comfortably leave them even for a day.

You need to make sure there is plenty of feed and water available, and make sure there are redundant sources of each in case something should go wrong. You wouldn't want them to drink out of contaminated water or find the feeder malfunctioned somehow during the time you're away. Or worse, have all the water spill out the first day.

Also, since you mention that they free range mostly, how well is the coop ventilated and how well does it perform in the summer heat with them cooped up all week? How many chickens? How big of a coop?
  4. oldpaths1611

Jul 17, 2010
    The coop is very well ventilated with more than enough room for the 14 chickens and 1 guinea. I understand the concerns regarding the food and water. I'm going to see what I can do to find someone who can check on them at least once or twice while we're gone.
  5. cluckiemama

cluckiemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    tell them they get to keep the eggs- I bet there are lots of people who would love that![​IMG]
  6. oldpaths1611

Jul 17, 2010
    That would defininitely work. The only drawback to that plan is that they're not laying yet!
  7. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Chicken Obsessed

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I do leave mine, but I do leave them in a predator proof run/coop. Make sure there is at least two sources of water. I have really found it makes a big difference to elevate my water onto some cement bricks. Before I did that, sometimes they would get to scratching and fill the lip of the waterer up with sand. Since I have elevated it, the water stays much cleaner.

Water is the most important thing especially if you have some heat. Saftey from predators, and then feed. I would put out a bowl of feed, and have it protected so that if it rains hard, it won't get all wet.

Then go and enjoy yourself. If you can find someone to check them once or twice, you should be fine.

8. oldpaths1611

Jul 17, 2010
    Thank you for your responses.
  9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Many of the "pet sitting" services will also care for poultry. Chickens free ranged for 4 or 5 days unsupervised is an invitation for predator attack.
  10. atimme

atimme Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    I work for a dog sitting company and we do chickens too. Maybe check Craigslist, make some calls? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by