Going broody already???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 1stepcloser, Sep 22, 2009.

1. 1stepcloser

1stepcloser Poultry In Motion

Sep 16, 2009
    Dover, TN
    My Black Australorp just started laying 3 days ago. Today she is fastidiously rearranging her "nest" piece by piece and is sitting on her egg. [​IMG] She laid the first one like it was nothing and wandered off. I had to kick her off her egg yesterday........now this today? Opinions please??

ETA: She also keeps "sniffing" and rolling her egg gently with her beak. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  2. 1stepcloser

Sep 16, 2009
    Dover, TN
    Bumping. [​IMG]

3. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Sounds like it...I had a mix that did the same thing...laid me about 2 eggs, then...BAM! Broody...She wants to hatch everything...

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Dunno anything about Australorps, but many girls spend more time setting than they do laying. If ya don`t want her to set, collect the eggs. If you leave eggs in the nest, some will set right away. If she won`t take no for an answer, put her in a small pen with a wire floor and nothing but food and water. This seems to break them up rather quickly. However, I`ve had hens that would try to hatch rocks out on bare ground. Good luck.......Pop

5. 1stepcloser

Sep 16, 2009
    Dover, TN
    Ok...she got up and wandered off. She must have a short attention span. LOL

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    When they stay on the nest all night instead of roosting, they are serious about being broody.

7. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    I collect my eggs 3,4,5 times a day... I'm home all day so I just run out there all the time [​IMG] cause I think if I didnt I'd have ALOT of broodies........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by