Going Broody & Drakes Behavior Important Questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by FunnyBunnies12, Sep 21, 2010.

1. FunnyBunnies12

FunnyBunnies12 Chillin' With My Peeps

When a hen/duck decides to go broody, does the drake detatch himself more from the female and leaves her alone and not be so or as protective or territorial?? The mom is sitting on her eggs and has been now for at least a good 1 1/2hrs, which has been typical, but usually when she leaves the nest it's when I open up the encloser to let the ducks out to explore play whatever their hearts desire, but if I would get near that door and open it the drake just comes after me and then goes back to the cage this morning though, he was happy to see me, didn't go after me, actually followed me up to our deck where their bigger pool is and if I leave the deck to go down, he will follow and make sure nothing happens to his territory, his woman,nest. But this morning he remained on the deck, I dropped my kids off, went down he didn't run up and down the deck watching what I was doing, she is still sitting and he didn't go nuts about me being there or try and follow me, he's all happy and content on the deck by himself where as before he is not comfortable at all without his girl. So, what is going on?? He's never acted like he has no care in the world since she started laying but today he is, as before he certainly had a care in the world about who and what was around his territory. Could this be a sign that she is going broody and she's relieved him of his protective duties??

Also, IF she has gone broody and I wanted to put back the eggs I took and they only have had 1 day in the incubator, could that cause problems? Will she notice and accept her eggs back and remain broody or should I just leave her with the 3-4 eggs she is laying on if she is going broody?

2. FunnyBunnies12

His behavior is just ODD! I'm not use to his niceness again! I walk into the house and he's actually asking to come in standing at the slider. He isn't attacking me, he isn't quacking with urgency he's just so calm I haven't seen this calmness/niceness since she started egg laying. I hope this means she is going or has gone broody.

3. FunnyBunnies12

Darn it, I thought maybe she went broody but she laid for 2hrs and she is up and out and grazing for the day.

4. chickmommar

chickmommar Chillin' With My Peeps

And what happened with his behavior? It's an interesting story!

5. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Well when my hens go broody my drakes don't seem to act any different except for the fact that they started hanging with just the guys (they really didn't have a choice since all the hens went broody) and the hen would be on the nest for the morning and when everyone was gone to work in the hot of the day she would cover up the nest and go chill on the pond
    with the the boys for a while (if you know what i mean) then go back to her nest. If she does go completely broody you should be able to wait till she gets off the nest and covers it to put the eggs back in. I usually use that opportunity to candle em. Good luck, hope she goes broody for ya.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  6. FunnyBunnies12

Well, nothing happened. She isn't broody yet she's still laying she's laid 2 dozen eggs all together now, I am incubating 9 of them 1 is a week older then the other. But I pulled 8 out of the igloo 4 days ago, and so far 6 of the 8 look to be starting something. So I don't know how much more she can possibly lay before she goes broody if she does! And he continues to mate with her!

7. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Well if you leave the eggs in there she'll lay a small nest of 10 or so but if you keep removing the eggs she'll keep laying everyday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by